Scuba Diving Magazine ranks North Atlantic (NY/NJ/RI/MA) #2 for shore diving...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Offshore

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
...in North America with "76.2", just after the Florida Springs ("90.3"), and well ahead of BC; Monterey, CA; and southeastern FL with "65", "57.6", and "43.2" respectively. If the score means anything, it's higher than those of the Caymans and USVIs in the Caribbean category, and higher than Hawaii, Malaysia, and the Red Sea in the Pacific category.

I use the question mark because the Florida springs are the only other place on this list I have dived and would give a top score to for shore diving (the other would be the cenotes in Mexico, which surprisingly is not on this list). First of all, I would say that comparing freshwater springs/caverns/caves is a bit of apples-to-oranges to beach shore diving, and there is a good amount of personal taste in preferring one over the other and vice-versa. What I am dying to get a better idea of are what are these amazing shore dives that earned this ranking.

My own experience in NE shore diving includes Dutch Springs (which was nice the first half-dozen times I went, but now I'm bored to tears of it), Beach 8th street (once was enough), and Brownstone park (nice, but probably already saw what there is to see of the beautiful walls there). I've heard of Ponquogue bridge, secret beach, etc., and some of the other ones listed in this sub-forum, but are there other big ones I am missing that give NE shore diving this world-class ranking? I know wreck valley deserves a world-class ranking for boat diving, but I'm definitely keen on knowing what more easy and flexible diving there is to be done without the schedule and space constraints that boat diving is faced with...

Cape Ann in MA offers some nice shore dives. In season it is loaded with divers. The only real down side is parking at some sites is difficult.

The coast of Maine has amazing shore diving opportunities, and as mentioned, Cape Ann in MA is loaded with great sites. Rhode Island has a lot to offer too, especially around the Jamestown area. I don't think anyone was really talking about quarries, ponds, and inland dive parks when they gave out the rating. It's all about the ocean.

Got it, thanks -- I would have loved to make it up there for some shore diving, but they are all a bit far for a day trip from NYC :(

If you're in NYC you should go down to the Jersey shore. There are a number of wrecks you can dive right from the shore. There are also the 15'-20' bay / inlet dives that are even used for drift diving based on when you put in.

- Rob

How did you find out about the rankings> I haven't seen a Scuba Diving Mag for over 3 months.

SD magazine just changed hands recently. The next issue should be out this month (april) which I believe is the may issue.

What about U-853 i think Rhode Island what experience level, how deep, water temps.
Have you ever been what do you think

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom