Scuba Diving Isla de la Juventud, Cuba, Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The U.S. gov't does not have diplomatic relations with Cuba. I thought that American citizens were banned from visiting Cuba by the U.S. gov't, unless they happen to be working for the U.S. gov't at the Guantanamo Bay Naval Station or Detention Camp. There are plenty of cool places to dive that won't put you at odds with the Feds. I think I'd consider them first. :wink:

The U.S. gov't does not have diplomatic relations with Cuba. I thought that American citizens were banned from visiting Cuba by the U.S. gov't, unless they happen to be working for the U.S. gov't at the Guantanamo Bay Naval Station or Detention Camp. There are plenty of cool places to dive that won't put you at odds with the Feds. I think I'd consider them first. :wink:

The more I have researched this in the last day, this seems to be a challenge to overcome.

I will write the state department and ask for permission.

It seems to me the only black coral wall and caves in the world off one side of this Island, needs some exploring by an American Team. It is a unique location and the country should not stop us.

I can also look at the media option in the country thanks to my career. Media staff is allowed in Cuba from the US.

Maybe, we could get one of our archeologist friends in Texas to look at doing a site survey also for a possible international dig.

This would not be a tourist trip as we are accustom too..........

Anybody been to Cuba?

you may want to read this before you head down there. These guys are serious.

ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS/TRAVEL TRANSACTION LIMITATIONS: The Cuban Assets Control Regulations are enforced by the U.S. Treasury Department and affect all U.S. citizens and permanent residents wherever they are located, all people and organizations physically in the United States, and all branches and subsidiaries of U.S. organizations throughout the world. The Regulations require that persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction be licensed to engage in any travel-related transactions pursuant to travel to, from, and within Cuba. Transactions related to tourist travel are not licensable. This restriction includes tourist travel to Cuba from or through a third country such as Mexico or Canada. U.S. law enforcement authorities have increased enforcement of these regulations at U.S. airports and pre-clearance facilities in third countries. Travelers who fail to comply with Department of Treasury regulations could face civil penalties and criminal prosecution upon return to the United States.

Angie has been to Cuba. PM me and I'll give you her cell number.
The more I have researched this in the last day, this seems to be a challenge to overcome.

I will write the state department and ask for permission.

It seems to me the only black coral wall and caves in the world off one side of this Island, needs some exploring by an American Team. It is a unique location and the country should not stop us.

I can also look at the media option in the country thanks to my career. Media staff is allowed in Cuba from the US.

Maybe, we could get one of our archeologist friends in Texas to look at doing a site survey also for a possible international dig.

This would not be a tourist trip as we are accustom too..........

Anybody been to Cuba?

you may want to read this before you head down there. These guys are serious.

ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS/TRAVEL TRANSACTION LIMITATIONS: The Cuban Assets Control Regulations are enforced by the U.S. Treasury Department and affect all U.S. citizens and permanent residents wherever they are located, all people and organizations physically in the United States, and all branches and subsidiaries of U.S. organizations throughout the world. The Regulations require that persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction be licensed to engage in any travel-related transactions pursuant to travel to, from, and within Cuba. Transactions related to tourist travel are not licensable. This restriction includes tourist travel to Cuba from or through a third country such as Mexico or Canada. U.S. law enforcement authorities have increased enforcement of these regulations at U.S. airports and pre-clearance facilities in third countries. Travelers who fail to comply with Department of Treasury regulations could face civil penalties and criminal prosecution upon return to the United States.

.....a couple of years ago American divers started going to Cuba for a about year or so via Mexico City. The Feds cracked down and several were fined in the neighborhood of $10,000. If you are a Yank it would be prudent to wait until things change before you cause yourself a world of problems. As others have said, there are many great places to dive until the political challenges end in Cuba.

How about Little Cayman?

Dave

.....a couple of years ago American divers started going to Cuba for a about year or so via Mexico City. The Feds cracked down and several were fined in the neighborhood of $10,000. If you are a Yank it would be prudent to wait until things change before you cause yourself a world of problems. As others have said, there are many great places to dive until the political challenges end in Cuba.

How about Little Cayman?

Dave

Little Cayman is Awesome.......... I did not see Black coral walls there, or lots of shipwrecks from the past that were not planted by the government. Maybe it was the dive operation I used. The Isle of Youth is something spectacular from what I read. Maybe I can figure a way to get a dual citizenship with our neighbors and use that passport to get to dive at this location.

But as everyone on the thread has stated, as a native born American Citizen it would be stupid to just go and break the state department rules. That is not me, so I will look at other alternatives.

Any Brits or Canadians been to this Island? Is it as good as what I have read about it?

Thanks for everyone's inputs and thoughts.................:D

Shawn O'Shea

Last edited:
Shawn--

I checked out the link you posted. Are those dive prices in Cuban pesos or US dollars? Dollars would be about 1/3 the usual cost, Cuban pesos would be just a little over a dollar per dive.

UPDATE--Found my answer. All prices listed are in CUC, currency rate:
$1.00 CUC = $1.12 USD

Still a good deal if it were legal.

Shawn--

I checked out the link you posted. Are those dive prices in Cuban pesos or US dollars? Dollars would be about 1/3 the usual cost, Cuban pesos would be just a little over a dollar per dive.

UPDATE--Found my answer. All prices listed are in CUC, currency rate:
$1.00 CUC = $1.12 USD

Still a good deal if it were legal.

number of Cuban Pesos in 1 US Dollars - Ask.com Web Search

I got 26.5 Cuban Pesos to one american dollar

Back
Top Bottom