Scuba diving in Eritrea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don,

I know this will be very hard to remember, but if I say Fawn Reef and Saunders Reef ... does a bell ring? I haven't been to them myself but have heard they are supposed to be the best spots in Eritrean waters (and the only ones visited in Eritrean waters on the old Sharm-Hodeida itinerary), and supposedly the couple of spots your tour organizer wanted to go to.

Be interested in reports from these spots if anyone has the chance to visit.

cheers

Christian

donacheson:
Yes and no.

I dove off the "Sea Surveyor" out of Massawa across the Red Sea around islands off the coast of Yemen several years ago. The fellow who organized the trip researched the area quite a bit and had identified a couple of spots in the Dahlak Islands he thought might be interesting, but the captain didn't agree so we skipped those islands except for one checkout dive on the way across.

Travel to Massawa from Asmara is interesting and enjoyable experience - marvelous terrain! There's not much in Massawa, but it was the subject of a great WWII book: "Under the Red Sea Sun" by Edward Ellsberg.

Eritrea Divers were trying to get permission to include these in their trips when we were there in 2004 but I since hear that they have folded and that Doris runs trips from a camp on Dissei Island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom