Scuba Diving from a Sailboat

What kind of scuba diving do you prefer?

• Diving from shore

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • Daytrip diving from a boat

Votes: 29 44.6%
  • Liveaboard diving from a boat

Votes: 27 41.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I agree.

Scuba diving from a boat is much easier. Especially when you live on it for several days

Having the gear ready to strap on whenever you like and then just walk down or roll in - amazing ... shore diving is a lot more hassle.

For 2 years we lived aboard a 43' Hunter sailboat in the Bahamas, where we ran sail/dive charters.

Because the boat had a swim platform, you could easily dive off the stern. However, we also had a 15' RIB (with GPS & VHF) that we used to dive from. That way we could drop a hook in a nice anchorage and go out to any dive site without having to deal with the lack of maneuvrability that is inherent in sailboats.

We also had a Bauer 8.3cfm compressor on board that could fill two 80 cu tanks in about 10 mintues. (Dual whip.)

MMMmmmm... memories.... :D

~SubMariner~

Fly N Dive,
Who are you diving with in the BVI's? If you are going on ActionQuest then there is a good chance that I will be your instructor :)

Btw, Diving off a sailboat is noticably more difficult than off a power boat. There is a lot more freeboard so entries and exits are more difficult, especially for beginners. If you are not on a cat, then deck space is kindof cramped. Plus, rigging always gets in the way. However, I love diving enough to do it off of a sunfish.

brandon

If you're diving from a sailboat but you're using the motor that day instead of sailpower--does it still count as a sailboat?

Although some of the replies above appear to be about commercial diving, there are people who dive off of normal sailboats. About 50 of my dives were from a friend's 41-ft sailboat (not a catamaran)--but we never used the sails on dive days.

A good/bad diving experience on a sailboat will depend on the size, type of sailboat, dive entry/exit, and how prepared the captain is for divers (tank racks, safety gear, etc). The sailboat I dived from was equipped with tank racks, equipment storage area, oxygen, first aid kit, and a system to get unconscious and/or injured divers out of the water (luckily, we never needed any of it).

Getting off this boat was easy (giant stride), but getting back on the boat after the dive was another story. The boat had a simple ladder on the starboard side. Divers (still wearing ALL gear but fins) had to climb up about 6 ft to get back onto the boat. There were some divers who didn't have the strength needed to get back in the boat without someone who was already on board pulling up their tank to relieve them of some weight.

Changing tanks between dives was also more difficult compared to most "dive" boats--lots of rocking.

Although I've made diving on a sailboat sound like a pain in the @ss...these were some of my best dive experiences. The people on the boat were great and we always had a good time in and out of the water. Those were the days...

My worst dive experience was a liveaboard trip with an outfit called Rum Runner out of Cairns, Australia. It was to be the highlight of my trip to Australia: a liveaboard trip on a sailboat to Holmes reef in the Coral Sea.
At the start it was apparent that something was wrong on the fully booked trip. Noxious fumes were billowing into the back hold of the ship. Soon almost all the passengers were hanging over the side of the ship. After about 5 hours the motor died.
Work began to try and repair the motor. Meanwhile we went under sail.
Very few people slept that night.
The next morning the motor got started but could only run at a slow speed. Noxious fumes overcame most passengers again. Soon the motor died for good. Most passengers never recovered from their extreme nausea while at sea. They demanded to be airlifted or have another high-speed boat come and remove them at their expense. The boat captain, unbelieveably, refused. It was not possible on the slowly returning boat to recover from the sea sickness. I felt guilty at not being sick even the boat crew members were feeling bad. I had the food to myself; no one else was eating.
It was a nightmare trip for most. All passengers signed a letter of disgust to the Rum Runner owner but received no satisfaction. The trip fee was refunded. But everyone had lost 3 days of their holiday at sea under nauseating conditions.
This is one company I cannot recommend.
Anyway that is my one sailboat and diving experience. I would do a sailboat again but only under certain conditions.

Diving off sailboats for the most part is difficult. Use your inflatable, and lower gear into it using the boom and preferably a mizzen boom. Shackle on a block unit say 3:1 and it becomes fairly simple to load/unload equioment.

We have a number of boats between my brother, father and I. which includes why we have both a trailerable power boat for diving and the cruising sailboat. Cats are a lot better for diving off but risk the added weight that negates the performance of a cat.

An earlier post about starting small diesels. One of our boats for weeknight club racing is a Tartan 10. Basically a 34' overgrown keel day sailor. I routinely start the 11 hp deisel with compression release with a crank. It's very simple to do.

For all of the boat owners on this board:

Know why they call it a "boat"?

..........All of the other four letter words were taken!

Know why they call it a "boat"?

Oh.. you mean:

Break
Out
Another
Thousand

Other sayings:

Owning a sailboat is like standing in a cold shower ripping up hundred dollar bills.

Sailboat: the most expensive way to travel 3rd class.

The two best days of a sailor's life: the day he buys his boat and the day he sells it.

I'm sure there's a few I've forgotten. :wink:

~SubMariner~

A hole in the water you pour money into

We just chartered a 38' Cat from the Moorings in the BVI.

For five nights on the boat and three in hotels either end it cost us $800 each (plus some for the tank rentals and food). not including air fare.

So, for the price of a typical dive trip we get:

- A private dive boat (no schedule - dive anywhere)
- An apartment (kitchen etc).
- Transport (no car rental)
- Great diving (no crowds, no pressure)
- Great(ish) sailing (I prefer monohuls but the cat is best for diving)

There are a couple of piccies in this thread

The only catch is you need someone experienced to sail the thing but, if you have that, it is unbeatable value.

We will be doing it again.

When we go back to Oz a "floating money pit" will be our first purchase - before the house if I get my way - we can always live on it.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom