Scuba diving and sickle cell trait

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Low O2 levels are not the only issue with sickle cell trait. You can develop complications just from the increased atmospheric pressure experienced during diving. Here is an excerpt from the CDC:

"What Health Complications Are Associated
With Sickle Cell Trait?
Most people with SCT do not have any symptoms of SCD, although
— in rare cases — people with SCT might experience complications
of SCD, such as “pain crises” and, in extreme circumstances, sudden
death. More research is needed to find out why some people with
SCT have complications and others do not.
In their extreme form and in rare cases, the following conditions
could be harmful for people with SCT:
•• Increased pressure in the atmosphere (e.g., while scuba diving).
•• Low oxygen levels in the air (e.g., when mountain climbing,
exercising extremely hard in military boot camp, or training for
an athletic competition).
•• Dehydration (e.g., too little water in the body).
•• High altitudes (e.g., flying, mountain climbing, or visiting a city at
a high altitude)."

Given the above, if I was your instructor I would want a DAN affiliated physician to sign off on you participating in diving activities before allowing you to participate in any in-water training.

This is an issue that you should disclose to any of the people you are buddied up with as well, as you are their backup just as much as they are your backup...they should know that you are at risk of complications during the dive.

I would recommend you find another activity to invest yourself in. Your condition puts you and those you dive with at risk. The underwater world is a beautiful place but it is also an unforgiving domain...the fact that you may be aware of the risk your condition presents does not mean it should be imposed on anyone else.

-Z

Hi everyone, my name is Sam and I'm new to this forum.

I'm just recently getting into scuba diving (going through my online course before actual classroom and then water) and I'm very excited and can't wait to start diving.

I have one issue though. I have sickle cell trait (NOT anemia). For those who don't know, the trait causes a certain percentage of my red blood cells to become oddly shaped when lack of oxygen occurs (such as at very high altitudes). This is deadly because it inhibits the ability to efficiently take in oxygen and can cause organ damage if oxygen isn't provided.

I can find almost nothing on sickle cell trait with regards to scuba diving except for a very old thread on here and a few other sources but nothing seems to be definitive nor can I find any research done on this matter.

I went to get my level of HbS tested (which is the % of cells in my blood that would get out of shape due to lack of oxygen) but my primary doctor had no idea what I was talking about :facepalm: Unfortunately I don't know what my HbS percentage is yet.

Now I'm still new to all of this but aren't there circumstances in diving where oxygen levels aren't ideal? Would increased depths/pressure play a role in the uptake of oxygen by cells and would that be an issue for someone with sickle cell trait? Anyone know of any recent findings on all of this? Any know of divers with sickle cell trait?

**If it helps at all I'm extremely athletic, 28 years old, total health nut

Samson, where in California are you?

Best regards,
DDM

My Samsung smart phone has a health app which among other features measures O2 saturation. As long as it, or any other O2 saturation monitor, shows O2 saturation above 97%, you're good to go, if it shows O2 saturation below 90% it's time to see a hospital ASAP.
The last time I messed my lungs up breathing a caustic liquid, I drove 30 miles to the hospital myself and had an O2 saturation of 43-45% on admission, but I was still concious.

Michael

I actually have a pule oximeter which measures my O2 saturation. I got one after I started swimming in really cold water (50F) and realized I was getting pretty hypothermic by the end of my swim.

UCLA medical center has a hyperbaric unit with physicians who can examine divers. Will send a PM.

Best regards,
DDM

I hate to resurrect a dead thread but perhaps my experience can help others in a similar situation as I am.

Life has gotten in the way since I last posted here so my progress in the PADI course has slowed down but I took it upon myself to find any/all sources of information regarding sickle cell trait with respect to diving. I've combed through dozens of research documents, purchased a handful of diving physiology text books, contacted a slew of physicians (most didn't answer :mad:), even looked into Navy research on the subject (SCT is not a disqualifier for naval special warfare, including the Seals), and even purchased several research papers from online medical databases going as far back as the 80's.

From what I've gathered, most sources indicate that diving with SCT is not an issue, provided you are an otherwise healthy individual. A few sources, however, did see an issue with it and this bothered me. Thanks to @Duke Dive Medicine I got connected to the UCLA Hyperbaric Unit and finally took an appointment with their physician. We had a lengthy conversation and he cleared me for diving.

This makes me feel a lot better but I still have a few unanswered questions that I believe only a hematologist can answer so I will continue my pursuit. While I didn't appreciate @Zef comment on forsaking diving altogether, I can understand where he was coming from but I wasn't ready to go down without a fight. Perhaps I should be content with what I've found thus far but being OCD, I won't be content until every question I have is satisfied so my journey continues.

Hope this helps anyone else on here or elsewhere that is possibly dealing with a similar issue. Thanks again for all of you chiming in!

I'm no Doctor, but I would ask your instructor if you could combine Nitrox cert in with your Open Water.
If not, do it as soon as possible after.
32% will increase your O2 and is good down to 111ft or so, which is deeper that you will be going initially or maybe ever.

I'm no Doctor, but I would ask your instructor if you could combine Nitrox cert in with your Open Water.
If not, do it as soon as possible after.
32% will increase your O2 and is good down to 111ft or so, which is deeper that you will be going initially or maybe ever.

Thanks for the heads up! I definitely intended to accumulate as many certifications as I can. My interest in diving goes beyond just basic diving so I'm going to go into this as fully prepared as I can be physically, educationally, etc.

I hate to resurrect a dead thread but perhaps my experience can help others in a similar situation as I am.

Life has gotten in the way since I last posted here so my progress in the PADI course has slowed down but I took it upon myself to find any/all sources of information regarding sickle cell trait with respect to diving. I've combed through dozens of research documents, purchased a handful of diving physiology text books, contacted a slew of physicians (most didn't answer :mad:), even looked into Navy research on the subject (SCT is not a disqualifier for naval special warfare, including the Seals), and even purchased several research papers from online medical databases going as far back as the 80's.

From what I've gathered, most sources indicate that diving with SCT is not an issue, provided you are an otherwise healthy individual. A few sources, however, did see an issue with it and this bothered me. Thanks to @Duke Dive Medicine I got connected to the UCLA Hyperbaric Unit and finally took an appointment with their physician. We had a lengthy conversation and he cleared me for diving.

This makes me feel a lot better but I still have a few unanswered questions that I believe only a hematologist can answer so I will continue my pursuit. While I didn't appreciate @Zef comment on forsaking diving altogether, I can understand where he was coming from but I wasn't ready to go down without a fight. Perhaps I should be content with what I've found thus far but being OCD, I won't be content until every question I have is satisfied so my journey continues.

Hope this helps anyone else on here or elsewhere that is possibly dealing with a similar issue. Thanks again for all of you chiming in!

You have a condition that can result in complications while under the water. Below the surface is not the point in time your dive partner should become aware you have a known medical issue. Either disclose your condition to everyone you plan to enter the water with so they can make an informed decision about diving with you, or take up another activity. Don't let selfishness jeopardize the lives of your dive partners.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom