Scuba Death Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wayan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
A Czech diver died in North Bali yesterday, Apparently from some local sources the diver was probably floating on the surface for a couple of hours prior to be discovered and was believed to be solo diving. The computer showed dives to 60, 70 and 84 metres on air.

No further info available at this stage.

Last edited:
84 meters on air ?? = 275 feet =9.5 atm = 1.99 pp02 If this is true This could be the cause.

Last edited:
......The computer showed dives to 60, 70 and 84 metres on air.......

As much as I hate to hear of any diver being injured let alone perishing, if this is the case then I would say the sensible and safe plan was ignored. Sorry to hear about it for anybody who knew the diver.

84 meters on air ?? = 275 feet =9.5 atm = 1.99 pp02 If this is true This could be the cause.

I think I would agree.

One guy I'm in dialogue via email at the moment is diving to 70+ metres on air. Seems like only a matter of time before he joins the stats.

i was thinking uncontrollable descent...

Sitting comfortably in our chairs banging on our keyboards, it is impossible for us to know for a fact what caused this fatality. However, it is proper to discuss the dangers or potential repercussions of making the type of dive that this person made - for example, to 275' on air - and learn from the discussion.

hello guys :D. this is my 1st post here. usualy i'm just reading. its a very good forum with lots of information specialy for me as a new diver, just want to straight think that happen in bali tulamben area

what i hear from fellow friend and diver from bali are..
the dead guy are belgian dive instructor. from what i hear few friend assume that he's trying to get a personal depth record. actualy there's a safety guide buddying with him. but the guide refuse to be his buddy because the diver are keep refusing the safety instruction the guide.. so they let the instructor diving solo, since they also know that the instructor already dive so many times at bali. specialy tulamben drop off area(where the diver found dead)

after examination from the diver divecom log
the 1st dive = 65m
the 2nd dive = 75m
the 3rd dive appears as the last dive of his life = 84m

all dive are with air 21%, and he's out of air at 50m.. so its maybe a lung lucture or out of breath so he cant reach surface

Just emailed with a DM friend in Bali: Here are a few more details on this accident. Here is his account - edited just a little for easier reading ;-).

"A day before his death he dove with a guide in tulamben

He insisted on diving deep, and got deco. The next day the guide didn't want to guide him

So he rented gear from another shop and dove solo.

He went down to 82 meters, then ran out of the air at 50 meters. Maybe he ascended too fast and damaged his lung."

Back
Top Bottom