Scuba death at Rye Back beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In this case there was no boat crew and certainly nobody else to blame. I disagree that this is always the case. I remember a dive where I geared up, checked my gear, breathed off my reg and saw one of the boat crew reach to check my tank. I told him my air was already on so to leave it. Unfortunately he managed to turn my air off then back on a 1/4 turn without me catching him at it. Must have been when I had my back to him waiting for the diver ahead of me to clear so I could splash. Breathed ok when I did the stride in then, I removed the reg while I waited for the rest to splash. Of course at 1/4 on it re-pressurized enough for me to get a couple normal breaths while I descended then got real hard to breath! Not impressed!

See above.. not always a guarantee. You gotta have eyes in the back of your head!

We all know what the only two guarantees in life are........

I have an overwhelming self preservation desire which drives me to ensure that I am the last one to tamper with my scuba gear before falling in. The people I dive with are mostly self reliant competent divers who know not to touch each others gear without asking first. If we do get an unknown quantity on board, we usually dispatch them over the side first so they are out of the equation.

Once I sit on the gunwhale, I check my reg and SPG is working ok by taking 4 breaths, flip down ( yes down ) my mask and fall in.......on the odd occasion I have to climb back on board to put my weight harness on.:D

possibly a language issue:idk: I thought i was clear enough:shakehead: I hate having someone else set up/touch my gear!

I always find the issues occur if something takes me out of my normal routine. Feeling rushed or getting interrupted in the process increases errors. I wonder if either of those were issues here. I guess we will never know:( I sure hope someone is taking care of the "Rescuers"

perhaps he just fell in(heart attack ?) while getting ready or indeed as many have speculated not certified. Sad

Agreed. And, it varies by instructor. But my overall impression has been that OW/AOW instructions fall significantly short in educating competent divers. One of the reasons for the existence of GUE and other efforts in the dive community. Then again, they have their own issues.

Dive safe everyone, and hopefully these discussions will make some folks think about their current practice that perhaps leads to improvements.

No. Its not 'understandable'. Its a symptom of instructors who aren't in control, can't teach, and/or are accepting students who are not ready for scuba.

Piling on weight is a lazy man's way to get students to stay put. Teaching them how to dive is a lot harder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom