Scuba a Winter Sport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The school is considering other programs/certifications too such as wilderness first aid, kayak rescue skills, offshore cold water survival, ...//...
You may also wish to look into SURFACE ice rescue. Several reputable agencies offer this as a PSD (public safety diver) certified course.

You can get started now by getting your students current in first aid, CPR, and AED.

I don't know. I was active as a kid in NYC area. I've been active relatively since into 66 year old adulthood. I don't know-- scuba in winter where you are? Yeah I guess so in the pool (though I don't count scuba as a "sport"). Referral certification or wait 'til Maine summer would be the case. I'm close to closing it down in Nova Scotia-- other than 20 min. wet dives in Jan....

That's what they're doing. It would be a certification class at the school's classrooms and pool to replace their regular winter sports seasons like wrestling or basketball. The open water portion of the course would likely be completed the following spring or summer.
Sounds like a great plan for a winter sport. I hope the school goes for it

I don't know. I was active as a kid in NYC area. I've been active relatively since into 66 year old adulthood. I don't know-- scuba in winter where you are? Yeah I guess so in the pool (though I don't count scuba as a "sport"). Referral certification or wait 'til Maine summer would be the case. I'm close to closing it down in Nova Scotia-- other than 20 min. wet dives in Jan....

It is mostly to give them something to do since their regular sports seasons have been cancelled (something to fill the void) also with the thinking that they can take many of these certifications with them beyond high school.

Our community's local high school cancelled their regular winter sports seasons this year and the building's AD (Athletic Director) wants to try and offer some things to keep the kids active (but in an individual or socially distanced way, of course!) He approached me about the idea of having scuba pool training and certification courses offered. The school is considering other programs/certifications too such as wilderness first aid, kayak rescue skills, offshore cold water survival, lifeguard training, CPR, cross country skiing, basic climbing and mountaineering, and snowshoeing.

Got me thinking that other LDS/Instructors might approach schools in similar situations to offer something like that. The AD here said that there were funds available (either saved from no uniform purchases, bus travel, paying officials, etc to COVID-school-related $).

Just a thought to maybe bring in some more to the sport.

IC,

As Darnold9999 has already mentioned, BC's best diving is in the winter, the Pacific cools and clears up, outside temperature is ''usually'' bearable, and once the pandemic passes and the borders re-open, the further down the Pacific coast you go, the better it gets.

It's dry-suit diving, but in BC, it's always dry-suit diving.

Best,

Rose.

I dive all year, including ice during the rare winters here where conditions (i.e. reliable ice cover) permit.

One of my favourite dives each year is my annual New Years Day dive.

My LDS does lots of O/W training through the winter. Local O/W check-out dives usually do not happen until late May though. Unless there is a trip to warmer latitudes (eg March break).

Our community's local high school cancelled their regular winter sports seasons this year and the building's AD (Athletic Director) wants to try and offer some things to keep the kids active (but in an individual or socially distanced way, of course!) He approached me about the idea of having scuba pool training and certification courses offered. The school is considering other programs/certifications too such as wilderness first aid, kayak rescue skills, offshore cold water survival, lifeguard training, CPR, cross country skiing, basic climbing and mountaineering, and snowshoeing.

Got me thinking that other LDS/Instructors might approach schools in similar situations to offer something like that. The AD here said that there were funds available (either saved from no uniform purchases, bus travel, paying officials, etc to COVID-school-related $).

Just a thought to maybe bring in some more to the sport.
Why not look at BSAC’s snorkelling program (its a commercial offering). Normally, local councils deliver it to keep children occupied during holidays. Contact BSAC HQ to see if it’s something that would do.

+44 (0)151 350 6200
info@bsac.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom