Scratches in Equinox Color Correction Filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcolman

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently purchased a fairly expensive Equinox external plastic color correction filter (4.75 inch diameter) for my Equinox Pro 6 housing.

As soon as it arrived, I knew I was in trouble, because the plastic filter is soft and I knew it would scratch right away. I suppose I should have returned it for a refund right away, but, then I would have no color correction filter.

Indeed, on the third dive, I got a scratch in it, and the scratch is visible in my video. I feel a little grumpy about the whole thing, because I feel that the filter was poorly engineered.

Does anyone know how to remove scratches from a relatively soft plastic flat filter? It is not hard plastic, like a dome port, and I am not sure if the same techniques can be applied?

Rick Colman

I am a bit confused... how did you scratch it?

I have an Ikelite housing with red filter, which I would guess is the same material. I had the filter for 2 yrs before I scratched it and that was falling on a shore entry at Bonaire. I had to put the housing out to stop my head from crashing into the ironshore/coral as waves crashed into me. I got a couple of deep 3-5" long gashes/gouges and dings in the red filter (better the filter than my face). Ryan, from ReefPhoto, was on our trip with us and he told me it didn't matter at all. The refraction index of the plexiglass filter is the same as water so underwater it wouldn't show up. From what I have seen in my videos since, I don't see any scratches at all. I haven't replaced it.

robin:D

Hey Rick I can't help you with repairing the scratch, you might want to call Sam at Equinox. A cheaper alternative to the filter is this: Lee Filters: Gel Sheet 779 and the color is almost identical. Since I can't use a filter with my rig I carefully tape this between my lens and bayonet style W/A adapter and it works great. Plus it's only $6.50 a sheet. Best of luck!

Billy

Who knows how it got scratched? I agree that most exterior scratches don't show, but this one does very plainly. There may be some foreign matter lodged in the scratch groove that is casting a shadow, or who knows/

Sam did not want to cover it under warranty. I will try the Gel Sheet. Better $6.50 than $140 ...

TNX!

Since it's unusuable now anyway, you might experiment with a plastic scratch remover. Like this one. There's also a deep scratch version - the green bottle...

Never tried it on a red filter though - but for $5 it might be worth a try.

It looks like the scratch is white in color, so it is possible that the plastic actually discolors on deeper scratches ... if so, then a poor choice of materials for an underwater filter ...

Since it's unusuable now anyway, you might experiment with a plastic scratch remover. Like this one. There's also a deep scratch version - the green bottle...

Never tried it on a red filter though - but for $5 it might be worth a try.

I use the 3 Stage Novus Polish along with different wet/dry sand papers for my dome port, stuff works great. I bet if the filter wasn't just coated plastic (which seems to be the case) then it would work great.

Sorry again Rick to hear about the filter, I bet you'll be pretty happy with the gel. I matched it in person with the U/R Pro Blue Water filter. It was the closest thing I could get without having to mix multiple gels. It's actually not a science as in film photography they use magenta filters to supplement red when it's absent, this is just a slight tweak of that.

Billy

Seriously, maybe I am becoming a little jaded on this board.

"I knew I was in trouble from time I bought it"
"Poorly engineered"

As everyone knows we buy our filters from the same place that every other reputable manufacturer does, UR-PRO, the leader and best. Poorly engineered? Personally I would like to thank Kirk at UR-PRO for creating THE underwater filter so the millions of previously satisfied customers across the world can shoot great photos and videos.

You scratched it! We are can not cover a filter if you scratch it, come on seriously?

This is a joke a right, where is the little camera in my office, am I on TV?

If the filter wasn't there you would have scratched the domeport!! If you ram your camera into a tree should sony change the glass on the built-in lens under warranty?

wow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom