Scouts at Grand Bahama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

111dive

New
Reaction score
We just came back from a week diving with Grand Bahama SCUBA. We had mostly new divers, a few that have several dives under their weight belt and a couple of guys that needed to complete their open water check out. Fred Riger, the Dive master/instructor, was great. As the week progressed our dives became deeper and more technical, never pushing the limits of the scouts but improving their skills. He made it great for everyone, keeping it safe and relaxing, even with two needing to complete their certification. The variety was spectacular; coral reef dives, wreck dives, and even a shark feed. The dives ranged from shallow to 105'. Not a soul on that trip walked away disappointed. Sea Base is great, but forget the lottery and the wait listing. Fred and Melinda run a safe, and enjoyable operation that tailors the dives each day to the desires of the divers! They even came out and helped with our service project!!! By the way Fred was more than willing to sign off on the SCUBA BSA applications for our guys. Check it out - you won't be disappointed http://www.grandbahamascuba.com/

How much does that sort of thing run for a troop? I agree about the wait for Sea Base, and this seems like a good trip. Thanks!

Where did you stay at and how much did it cost?

StagRaven:
How much does that sort of thing run for a troop? I agree about the wait for Sea Base, and this seems like a good trip. Thanks!

not exactly on topic of the bahamas trip, but still a good trip for doing the
same thing with scouts is to check this out.

If you're looking for a cheaper trip that you can drive to and don't want to wait for Sea Base slot to open up, I found out while we were at Quiessence in Key Largo this summer that they have a 12 or 18 bunk dormatory above their shop that they rent out. I has two rooms of bunks, bath, great room area and kitchen. Perfect for scouts. I think the owner told me it was somewhere around $8 or $12 per day depending on how many people you had in it. 3 six pack dive boats on site also.

It cost us about $900 a scout for a week of diving, airfare, accomodations, meals, and additional activities. We stayed at Coral Beach - renting Condos. This saves on the pp hotel tax. Also Coral Beach is between the dive shop and downtown Port Lucaya. We could walk down the beach and be in Port Lucaya in about 15 minutes. We had a few meals there, but brought a lot of our food with us. Since we were in condos we had access to kitchens and the grill. You can bring in food, frozen lasagne, frozen burgers etc, just stay away from fresh fruits and vegtables. The dive shop came and picked us up each morning - so again saving on car rental. We did a Kayak trip and a hike through the national park, again door to door service. Taxi's are a bit pricey because they charge per person not the trip and the charge is arbitrary. We paid $5 pp to go to the movies on the way there and $4 on the way back. The Condos were about $575 each. Most can sleep four. Hope that helps. While I agree Key Largo is good diving, you don't get the variety like you do in Freeport, wrecks, coral, sharks etc. The other thing that I like about Freeport over Florida is the dive master dives with the group. Always nice to have someone there in case of an emergency

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom