Scout Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Splitlip

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking to buy a new center console in the 21 ft range. Was leaning toward the the Bluewater line with their walk through transom. Checked out the Scouts. They have room for a head in the console and claim to be "unsinkable". Thought I was sold until I found out the Scouts only foam the stringers below the deck.
So what does "unsinkable" mean? I know Whalers are unsinkable and are foamed everywhere.
Anybody familiar with Scouts and know how they are "unsinkable" with a minimum of foam core.
Thanks

I'm not sure how they determine their boat is unsinkable. I actually went through their plant here in Summerville SC a couple of years ago, it is immaculate, clean enough to eat off the floor, and their workers were very professional. They build a great boat, really take alot of care and pride in it. I'm not sure if any of the boats that are advertised as unsinkable really are unsinkable. I saw a new 30' Grady White go down last summer...we responded to the MayDay on the way out diving. Two weeks later a friends Sea Pro went down, on the shakedown cruise, straight from the dealers showroom.

If I were you I would call their plant, and talk to someone about the boat because the typical salesman at a dealership will not have the answers you're looking for...but he will tell you what you want to hear. Here is their number 843-821-0068..good luck.

ranger:
I'm not sure how they determine their boat is unsinkable. I actually went through their plant here in Summerville SC a couple of years ago, it is immaculate, clean enough to eat off the floor, and their workers were very professional. They build a great boat, really take alot of care and pride in it. I'm not sure if any of the boats that are advertised as unsinkable really are unsinkable. I saw a new 30' Grady White go down last summer...we responded to the MayDay on the way out diving. Two weeks later a friends Sea Pro went down, on the shakedown cruise, straight from the dealers showroom.

If I were you I would call their plant, and talk to someone about the boat because the typical salesman at a dealership will not have the answers you're looking for...but he will tell you what you want to hear. Here is their number 843-821-0068..good luck.
Thank you Ranger. I will call.

ranger:
I'm not sure if any of the boats that are advertised as unsinkable really are unsinkable. I saw a new 30' Grady White go down last summer...we responded to the MayDay on the way out diving. Two weeks later a friends Sea Pro went down, on the shakedown cruise, straight from the dealers showroom.

Most Boston Whalers are truly unsinkable. There have been a couple of very oddball and
rare models that are not. But most of them are 100% foam in the voids, and you can
cut them in half with a chain saw, motor away in the back half, paddle away in the
front half. I suppose if you put a ton of lead in one you could force it to underwater, but as
soon as it capsized UW and dumped the lead, it would pop up. Something similar
actually happened to one that was strapped
to the deck of a CG cutter that sank. Several minutes after the sinking, it popped up,
and the survivors used it.

Note that only boats of 20' or less MUST have level floatation by CURRENT rules.

Scouts are nice boats, BTW.

venture over to www.thehulltruth.com and the florida sportsman boards at http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zeroforum?id=16 and you will find more info than you ever wanted to know about this type of boats. the scout is a very good boat, its only drawback is that its lighter which isnt a good thing in rough stuff. "unsinkable" boats like boston whaler are way overpriced IMHO and you can get MUCH more boat for the money with another top ranked brand like bluewater, contender, hydrasports, scout, etc.

btw, i like this forum and its great for scuba knowledge, but definitely not the place for boating advice. check out one of the forums i mentioned, most everyone is from here in florida - "boat country" haha.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom