SCOTT SCBA cylinder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrawnyrunt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a handful of the older kevlar wrapped SCOTT SCBA cylinders that I use to bank air. I am downsizing the number of cylinders that I have. This cylinder is the smaller BA cylinder that was used for the high pressure (4500psi) system, not the low pressure (2216psi) cylinders that are gigantic. 45 cubic foot cylinder.

$50 + actual shipping expenses

I can email photos if requested

Thanks

Matt

I assume these are expired cylinders with no hydro sticker?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, They have exceeded their fire service life span and cannot be hydrostatically tested. These are not cylinders that you would want to use for diving activities. Perfect for banking air or to drive a booster (the two things that I used them for).

CARBON CYLINDERS
• Scott Safety’s Carbon Cylinders are built to DOT and TC specifi cations
• 2216, 3000, 4500 and new 5500 psig working pressures
• Lightweight, composite cylinder consisting of an aluminum alloy inner shell
with a total overwrap of carbon fi ber, fi berglass and an epoxy resin
• Rated for 30', 45', 60' and 75' (5.5 only) durations based on NIOSH breathing rates
• 75' cylinder is ideal for RIT and extended duration operations
• Hydrostatic testing to be performed every fi ve years
• 15-year life expectancy

I'd be more than alittle concerned about utilizing a compressed air cylinder that is no longer able to be legally hydro'ed...with a 15 year manufacturer's life rating.
If it's unable to be hydro'ed..it's exceeded its 15 year engineered life limit per the maker.

Far be it from me to remind anyone that a compressed air cylinder is wearing a bomb on your back.

PSI-PCI Inspector # 27278

Bubs

Bubs,

You are quite the internet researching goo-roo. Your cylinder inspector number is very impressive!

You strike me as the guy who would pump a 1970's low pressure steel 72 to well over 3000psi, or an aluminum 80 to 3500spi or beyond. You cannot possibly claim that you have never used a cylinder, which you kindly reminded us is a 'bomb on your back', that was filled to a pressure which exceeded it's limits.

The DOT regualtes the life span of these cylinders (which are hydro'd to 7500psi) because they run down the road on fire department apparatus and are used in IDLH (immediately dangerous to life and health; in case you did not want to use your internet researching skills to look it up) environments that commonly extend into and beyond ambient air temperatures of 700 degrees F. This reason alone warrants such a significant safety margin; it also is the reason that a life span is imposed upon a cylinder as robust as SCBA cylinders.

Most people do not have access to a breathing gas compressor that is capable of reliably filling tanks to 4500psi, although maybe you do. However, many of us can pump gas to 3000psi. A cylinder which is used to bank air for transfilling and/or drive a booster that is engineered to hold gas well beyond 2 times this pressure is a calculated risk that I am willing to take. In my opinion, the popular 40+ year old low pressure steel cylinders that have been submereged in salt water hundreds or thousands of times pose a far greater threat to the user; not to mention that these cylinders are actually a 'bomb on your back', since they are life support equipment while being used during a dive.

Far be it from me to remind you that a compressed air cylinder that you are not wearing on your back is not a bomb on your back.

Thank you for your response though, I enjoyed reading the information you furnished in it.

You missed the point entirely...worn, banked, whatever. There's a REASON behind Man'f specs.

And I've NEVER pumped ANY of the 2 sets of doubles or 7 single LP72's I have "well above" 3000 psi..or an al 80 "to 3500 and beyond".

Thats what my HP 100's are for.

Sure glad my "internet researching goo roo" skills are so impressive!! Must be why I'm responsable for almost 100 tanks at the shop I work in. I KNEW the Internet would qualify me for something someday!

Good luck with your sale.

Bubs

I'll second that opinion those resin wrapped tanks rely on the resin shell to hold the pressure once those tanks have aged past their rated life then they CAN NOT be refilled hydroed or used the resin breaks down. I was trying to be nice before as I have been getting on the nerves of the mods around here lately but it is your or your customer who purchased the tanks compressor, shop/garage, and family there if it does let go. Be careful what ever you decide.

Warren Z
SDI Visual Tank Inspector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom