Scorpion or Stone Fish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tridacna

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
In Coz.

Attachments

• DD3A8EF4-C501-4B3A-96C4-B4CDDEDA01F7.jpeg
    DD3A8EF4-C501-4B3A-96C4-B4CDDEDA01F7.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 103
I'd vote scorpionfish. Looks like the scorpionfish I see all the time here in FL. Although stone fish do look quite similar. I'd still cast my vote for scorpionfish.

Scorpionfish. Not only does it 'look like one' (a loaded phrase, since there are many species), but I don't think there are any species of stonefish in the Caribbean, and you said this was in Cozumel.

From what I've read of the horrendous pain of stonefish stings, I'm glad they aren't in the Caribbean.

Scorpionfish. Not only does it 'look like one' (a loaded phrase, since there are many species), but I don't think there are any species of stonefish in the Caribbean, and you said this was in Cozumel.

From what I've read of the horrendous pain of stonefish stings, I'm glad they aren't in the Caribbean.
Agree; no stonefish in the Caribbean.

I saw this dude in St Lucia. Locals called it stonefish…

Attachments

• 6A8DC536-20F8-47DB-A04C-AACB487F00B5.jpeg
    6A8DC536-20F8-47DB-A04C-AACB487F00B5.jpeg
    195.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 1EE51FF2-3FCC-467B-8731-C089B4C74751.jpeg
    1EE51FF2-3FCC-467B-8731-C089B4C74751.jpeg
    163.1 KB · Views: 81
Well, unless the locals imported them from the Indo-Pacific, there isn't any stonefish in the Atlantic.
I saw this dude in St Lucia. Locals called it stonefish…

Stonefish are practically just a body with a face and almost not much of a tail.

The key identification is that the mouth is across the top of the front of the face.

This pair was photographed at Dahab in Egypt in July this year, and in all the years I have dived in the Red Sea, this was the first time I'd seen two together.

Note that a stonefish is a scorpionfish.

Scorpionfishes are members of the family Scorpaenidae and includes stonefishes as well as lionfishes and a number of other species. They all have venomous spines, just some are more painful than other.

Back
Top Bottom