Scopolomine questions- including withdrawal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been using the patch for years for sailing in rough waters, and likewise have been cutting it in half for years under the advice/direction of my doctor without problems. Of course, everyone is different and I understand the argument about the medication delivery. For a single day of diving, I'll typically take a dose of Antivert and it does the trick for me, but on occasion (usually for crossings on liveaboards) I've used the patch on dive trips as well.

OK- so another question is arising for me:

Am looking at a possible liveaboard trip in the Andamans. Needless to say, I'm quite worried about being on a boat continuously for a week at a stretch, given my history with motion sickness and prolonged Scop patch use.

Is there any protocol for alternating medications for prolonged abatement of motion sickness?

One of the earlier posts warned of the risk of using scopolamine and meclizine together as both are anticholinergics... I'm looking for more information on drug interactions like this.

Any of the anticholinergics can alter the absorption rate of other medications because they slow down the digestive system. If you're taking any other medications, your primary care practitioner will be the best person to consult about drug interactions. Incidentally, anticholinergics can also dry you out and cause blurred vision. The old saying for their side effects is, "Can't see, can't pee, can't spit, can't sh*t".

To my knowledge, there is not a specific protocol for alternating motion sickness medications. It sounds like the scopolamine works well for you as far as alleviating your symptoms. It may be best to use that if the seas are predicted to be heavy and switch to a medication with less side effects if they're more calm.

Also- can anyone refer me to a dive med MD who does telemedicine?
Thanks.
We have plenty of diving physicians; what type of telemedicine are you looking for?

No facts, just what I've seen with all 3 of the people I dive with who use the patch. While the manufacturer says not to cut the patch - so obviously I'm not recommending it - all 3 people have determined a whole patch is too much and leaves them feeling wonky in various ways. They always cut them, with no apparent ill effects so far. My husband has been doing this for many many years, for frequent plane travel as well as boats. (It does seem over the years he has needed to reduce the amount of patch he wears.) YMMV.

I'll echo BubbleTrubble's advice about cutting the patch, or rather not cutting it. The hospital pharmacist I spoke with also agrees. It's made of several layers, one of which is a microporous membrane that controls the delivery rate of the drug. The drug itself is contained in a liquid that lies behind the membrane, which could flow out and cause improper dosage administration if the patch is cut. The prescriber information in the links below contains details about the construction of the patch as well as information on side effects, including withdrawal.
Transderm Sc?p® patch Prescribing Information ? Scopolamine Patch from Novartis
http://www.transdermscop.com/42013C_TransScop_phys_insert.pdf

I'll echo BubbleTrubble's advice about cutting the patch, or rather not cutting it. The hospital pharmacist I spoke with also agrees. It's made of several layers, one of which is a microporous membrane that controls the delivery rate of the drug. The drug itself is contained in a liquid that lies behind the membrane, which could flow out and cause improper dosage administration if the patch is cut. The prescriber information in the links below contains details about the construction of the patch as well as information on side effects, including withdrawal.

Hmmmm, guess I'll stick with Antivert (or check out Scopace). Thanks for the info. (I'll have to pass it along to my physician!)

So, has anyone used Scopace? Will it last for the two morning dives? I've had success using it for flights when taking it early enough so I think it may be a better option than the patches for diving. It would be nice to lessen the side effects like blurry vision and dry mouth for the evening hours when I'm not diving.

RE cutting the patch in half. This is unwise as the drug delivery system of Transderm Scop is predicated on an unmolested patch.

Thank you.

Regards,

DocVikingo

So, has anyone used Scopace? Will it last for the two morning dives? I've had success using it for flights when taking it early enough so I think it may be a better option than the patches for diving.

Hi fab50diver,

I have on very rare occasion used generic oral scopolamine. It seemed to work well for me.

The recommended dosing schedule is every 8 hours as needed, or as directed by the prescribing physician. The first dose should be taken about 2 hours prior to the activities that produce motion sickness. Be careful not to take any more of this drug than is directed and cease use if you have worrisome side effects. As with "the patch," blurred vision, dizziness, drowsiness, dry mouth and flushing have been reported.

By timing doses appropriately the user should be able to lessen any side effects in the evening hours when not diving.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

According to this website Prevent Motion Sickness - Scopace Availability Scopace was discontinued in April 2011. No information as to why or if other oral scopolamine tablets are available. I have a trip coming up at the end of this month and would appreciate any info re availability of a generic, and if a prescription is required. TIA

Last edited:
According to this website Prevent Motion Sickness - Scopace Availability Scopace was discontinued in April 2011. No information as to why or if other oral scopolamine tablets are available. I have a trip coming up at the end of this month and would appreciate any info re availability of a generic, and if a prescription is required. TIA

Hi couv,

Yes, yes and yes.

Scopolamine hydrobromide/hyoscine hydrobromide is available in generic form. It is a prescription drug.

Regards,

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom