Scootering 1000 Island Region Wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wb416

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
This past weekend (Sept 24/25), I was part of a club dive that include BAD and LEWD divers (Sandusky Bay Area Divers and Lake Erie Wreck Divers).

As expected, the weather and the wrecks were incredible on Saturday. We went out with Wayne (TIPD) on his Osprey boat and visited Kinghorn, Keystorm, and the America. It was my first time scootering on wrecks (only quarries thus far), using a scooter that was loaned to my by Scot Wernette. My buddies for the weekend were Scott Lang and Brandon Schwartz. We were using X-scooters, and if you've never had a chance to use one, talk someone in to letting you go for a spin. It's addictive. It was a great tool for circumnavigating the wreck, then tieing off for closer wreck penetration.

Sunday we dove on the Daryaw and the Lilly Parson. The only current that gave the scooters a challenge were those on the Lillie Parson, but even so, we got to spend quality time on each of these wrecks, as well as check for debris fields.

Viz wasn't real good with all the heavy particulate in the river, but inside the wrecks it was much better. Brandon's video actually made it look better than it was. Temperature was also a balmy 68-70 degrees F.... no issues there!!!

It's going to be tough to go back to diving wrecks the old fashioned way (scooter-less), so I need to take a second look at my budget and see how soon I can get one of these toys... err... tools into my stable!!!!

Hat's off to Wayne Green of Thousand Island Divers and Dan H at Dive Tech for the incredible support they gave our entire group!!!

WOO HOO!!!

Bob Overstreet

bladephotog:
Sounds incredible. I was in Kingston two weekends ago and the wrecks were fantastic. How did your videographer handle the scooter and video camera? Was he able to shoot while scootering? Seems like a challenge.

Andy
Hi Andy,
He's got a camera mount for the scooter.
He does occasionally hold the camera w/one hand and scooter w/the other....needless to say it is a bit more of a PITA that way. He prefers the camera scooter mount.

brando

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom