Scientists Warn of Coral Bleaching in Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dive_lover88:
So in short there ain't much we can do, even if we are all eco-friendly...it's all rest on the high level people in the governments?
Usually legislators are elected by the voters, and are receptive to voter opinions. Writing letters and signing petitions still has its merits. Nowadays, you can do a lot of this online.

I recommend signing up with WWF's "take action" network. They'll send you email alerts on upcoming legislation, and if you give consent, will send e-letters on your behalf to your local congressmen.
http://takeaction.worldwildlife.org/action/index.asp?ms=wwf_header

'Course, if you're not from the U.S., this particular option isn't so useful.

usnadiver03:
The same qualifier that enables people to make comments such as "global warming, too much oil, etc" qualifies me to say that people are ridiculous and self-agrandizing. I am a rational thinker who understands and is comfortable with the fact that there are forces in this world that are much greater than me and the sum of all parts.

So you don't actually have any real qualification to make such statements then? Sure, one person may be insignificant, but there happens to be over 6 billion of us now. Multiply whatever wastes you create by 6 billion and it becomes highly significant. Not to mention that we've been doing this for over 100 years now. Should also mention I have a degree in biological sciences and have studied extensively in how pollution and other human influences impact ecosystems (including marine). So I am pretty well qualified to shoot you down.

cheddarguy:
I am so glad to see some one with common sense !

When mount st. helen erupted, that one event spewed more toxic material into air
then the human race could emit in 50-100 years and there was know one that could have done anything about it.

Believe it's already been pointed out that the amount of toxins produced by this event does not even come close to the amount produced annually in the US alone.

Ya'll better be careful. If one of those oil company execs was to read this, the price of gasoline will go up another $$$$$ tonight!!! LOL

mrdawson:
So you don't actually have any real qualification to make such statements then? Sure, one person may be insignificant, but there happens to be over 6 billion of us now. Multiply whatever wastes you create by 6 billion and it becomes highly significant. Not to mention that we've been doing this for over 100 years now. Should also mention I have a degree in biological sciences and have studied extensively in how pollution and other human influences impact ecosystems (including marine). So I am pretty well qualified to shoot you down.

Shooting people down is easy...:D

And your plans for improving things are???

PaulChristenson:
And your plans for improving things are???

usually a six pack of anything and some bbq ribs do the trick for me

mrdawson:
Believe it's already been pointed out that the amount of toxins produced by this event does not even come close to the amount produced annually in the US alone.

So he picked the wrong volcano...:D

Human impact on the environment can be overshadowed by ONE natural event, always has and always will...I am not using this as a justification for our poluting of the environment, but even if we were to keep things pristine, Nature will and can come along and throw a monkey wrench into the works...

What about Mt Toba??
http://home.kooee.com.au/mrw/eureka/volcanic winter.htm

And even better yet...if you all are doom sayers anyone measured the rises in elevation at Yellowstone recently...:D

Now there is a SuperVolcano to end all human polution...:D

ah crap... Yellowstone is fixing to blow?

i better get my Gavin scooter now...

H2Andy:
usually a six pack of anything and some bbq ribs do the trick for me

Andy...so how's the caves in FL doing???

better than the coral in the Caribbean!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom