Scientist dies spearfishing - Pantelleria island, Italy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Google translation...

Pantelleria, scientist dies during a dive​

A scientist expert in molecular biology and genetics, Alma Dal Co, 33 years old, from Venice, died in Pantelleria while she was diving in the stretch of sea in the Scauri area. To clarify the causes of death, the Prosecutor of Marsala ordered an autopsy on the victim's body. The woman's parents have a villa on the island and she, passionate about diving and spearfishing, spent long periods in Pantelleria.

On the website "Dalcolab", Dal Co laboratory of the University of Lausanne in Switzerland on the profile of the researcher it is written: "My name is Alma Dal Co. I come from Venice, Italy. I am a physicist in microbes, ecology, collective behavior. I am one scientist with horizontal, rather than vertical, scientific interests. I am generally interested in the dynamics of complex biological systems, such as multicellular organisms and microbial communities. My main question is how the functionality of these systems arises from the interactions between their members. My work combines experiments with modeling. If I'm not in the office, I'm at the piano. If I'm not at the piano, I'm underwater spearfishing".

Alma Dal Co had decided to go out on a boat for a dive in the Scauri area together with a diver friend, a Florentine who had long since moved to the island. The two first reached a sea area with strong currents where only the man dived.

Then they moved along the coast to Scauri, at a depth of 10-12 metres. Here they dived together but under water they had then separated. Once back on the boat, the man did not see the woman and the search on the seabed began where he discovered her body lying on her. Brought back on board the boat, the diver attempted to revive the woman but she was dead. The Coast Guard, with the help of a local diver, recovered the girl's equipment that had remained on the bottom (rifle, mask, weight belt).

Yes, it appears she was free diving.
It also appears that being a scientist was irrelevant to the dive and to the death.

Back
Top Bottom