Scientific / Research Diving Opportunities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

algal bloom

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi South Florida!

I was wondering what kind of opportunities that may be available for various marine projects going on where volunteer divers might be needed. In Texas, at Aquarena Springs, you could take their course and then from then on help with cleaning equipment and taking samples. I don't want to be stuck in a lab my whole life and am looking for experience in marine biology. Even if it was just helping out a grad student or a Ph. D. do research. Does anyone know of anything? Thanks!

Nathan

If you need a buddy for that or the like i might be interested!! Always been into things like that even though its not my actual job. Only on weekends though.

You can check with Mote Marine and the Florida Dept of Environmental Protection as well. I know FDEP always feels short handed when they do a study around here.

Oops! I just realized that I posted this in the "Private Trips" section. Oh well. Hopefully it will be seen!

Nathan

There is a nasty rising trend for university and even volunteer diving ops to be put under AAUS standards (for liability reasons). Schools that do a great deal of scuba research (like in Florida and California) usually require all of their divers to be AAUS members now, which is neither simple or easy to become. Most nonprofit groups are not yet requiring this, but they are heartily recommending it.
Last month even Bridget at Aquarena was asking me about it, as she was getting pressure to fall under AAUS standards (again for liability reasons). Hopefully it won't happen for a while, 'cuz that'll make a big dent in our restoration efforts.

When you look into volunteer research diving, the first thing you should always ask now is what the training and liability requirements are. REEF-type stuff is generally a good bet for "regular-joe" type divers.

We help with some private research from time to time. One project is specimen collection and monitoring of cyanobacteria on the reef, another is bottom probing for an artificial reef site to grow corals on. The next time we do something I'll post it.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom