Scientific Diver Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carlislere

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi, All,
My son and I, along with 5 others from Oak Hill Scuba, attended the Scientific Diver course at the Aquarina Center at San Marcos over the weekend. We had a blast! There were 11 total in the class. We spent the morning in academics. There was a quiz after each section, three total, then we were taken on a glass bottom boat tour as an orientation to the springs. After lunch we performed bouyancy skills in the training area. I know all of our OHS group passed. I don't know about the other group. That evening we were lead on a night dive of the spring lake. Sunday morning we made another dive in the spring lake and were finished.
My son and I plan on arranging a day or two over the holidays to volunteer down there. We highly recommend the course.

I'm glad you guys had a good time. I am trying to make plans for Jan or Feb to take the course. Was the buoyance testing doable for the average diver or do you need to be a magician?

The Bouyancy testing is not supremely taxing, what you will learn in the course is bouyancy is important for the conservation of the plant and marine life. I took the class with people of varrying skill levels, and everyone passed. Make sure you have a handle on your weight and don't use your inflator as an elevator switch. And for the love of everything Holy try not to crash into everything.

I think Bridget is unusually gracious on the buoyancy test. After hearing her state the criteria, I most definitely should NOT have passed. I touched one of the hoola hoops going through it, and brushed a bit against the bottom sneaking underneath that grid.

Maybe she just likes to scare people.

carlislere:
Hi, All,
My son and I plan on arranging a day or two over the holidays to volunteer down there. We highly recommend the course.

Congradulations Ron & Son - - - Now we can do some of our group dives there also! - Yah!!!
Get your plans in to Bridget now for your Xmas dives - as she's off on vacation the 17th and the list closes then. I'll send you my dates if you like.

Do I need to worry about having Tony about :wink: ??

Good Job!

archman:
I think Bridget is unusually gracious on the buoyancy test. After hearing her state the criteria, I most definitely should NOT have passed. I touched one of the hoola hoops going through it, and brushed a bit against the bottom sneaking underneath that grid.

I got to take my class from Don Dibble - and was summarily failed [on the first pass, along with over 1/2 of the class] - THAT got my attention, and with a fair bit of practicing, including a lovely weekend at Balmorea - so the second pass went VERY well.

archman:

I dropped the wheelbase the first time I tried to move it....and was summarily admonished by Bridget. LOL

Third time was a charm, though :D

Congrats on doing and passing the course.... I know that myself and others from our neck of the woods will be doing the course next year... so we'll come pick your brains and hope to dive with you guys soon.

cheers,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom