Schools in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am looking for a school that offers Marine Biology as a undergrad and graduate degrees. So I can start and get my ndergrad and then persue to get a Masters in Marine Biology. So if anyone know of any in your area could you please let me know? Im not even sure what part of FL I wantto go to I guess it depends on the school. Thanks in advance.

There is also Florida Intitute of Technology. I believe Florida Atlantic University may have a program. The FIT program is an excellent program.

FIT is in Melbourne, FL. FAU is in Boca Raton.

It's unusual for someone to pick up an MS at the same school you got the BS in, especially in the sciences. Any particular reason you wish to pursue this route?

scuba_aqua_girl:
I am looking for a school that offers Marine Biology as a undergrad and graduate degrees. So I can start and get my ndergrad and then persue to get a Masters in Marine Biology. So if anyone know of any in your area could you please let me know? Im not even sure what part of FL I wantto go to I guess it depends on the school. Thanks in advance.

Pick the school, then worry about what state it is in for your BS. For your MS, pick a professor with similar research interests and available funding, then worry about what school he/she is at. Your best bet is to get a BS at one school, then an MS at another...you'll have a broader education and access to more opportunities. University of Miami has an excellent graduate school, but frankly, a less than impressive undergraduate program. Don't limit yourself to Florida, you could get a BS at Duke or Texas A&M then an MS at Univ. of Miami, for example. Also, you might want to look into "Semester at Sea" programs and summer courses where you visit schools other than the one you're envolled at for field courses, etc. during the summer (e.g., Bermuda's Biological Station for Research). Also, I know a lot of students that intern at gov't and university research labs during the summer to gain experience, etc. A number of undergraduate schools have marine biology exchange programs with Australian universities (e.g. UM has an exchange program with James Cook Univ. in Townsville, Cal State Northridge has a similar one as well with a "Uni" in Brisbane).

Good luck,
Dave

Thanks for your help. Well I guess I don't have to do both at the same school, I just thought it was better for some reasone. I really don't know exactly what Im doing? I know what I want to do but not sure the best way to research it and get started. So thanks to anyone who can give me any direction.

Why is Florida your only choice? There are quite a few Marine Science/Marine Biology degrees offered by California schools. UC San Diego and Santa Cruz, along with CSU Monterey Bay, and Stanford has a research facility right next to the Monterey Bay Aquarium, just to name a few.

I really would love to go over to CA but I can't go to far from family right now and Fl is either a 2 hour flight back or anywhere maybe 14-17 hour drive depending on where. I dont thnk theres anything wrong with going to CA I know they probably have some awesome programs but can't stray to far from my family.

Back
Top Bottom