School me on gauges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RayJayJr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hey guys.

Been doing a little shopping lately to try and make my rig a little bit safer, more streamlined and so fourth.

I was basically following the readings in one of the older GUE DVDs as well as the configuration list on the GUE site.

I've got myself a good quality brass pressure gauge, as well as the appropriate hoses, but I'm a bit confused about the depth gauge.

It should be wrist mounted. Fine. I was wondering - they never explicitly state whether or not this has to be an analog depth gauge, it addition to my wrist computer, or if the wrist computer meets both functions.

I would assume I need both right? Or is gauge mode on my computer acceptable practice? What if the computer fails. Then I'm up ****s creek.

If this is the case, where do I find an analog wrist mounted depth gauge? I looked on scubatoys quickly in their tech section, and didn't see anything...

Thanks guys.

Ok, I'm not DIR but I read a bit about their equipment configuration and have tried to configure my gear in the same way.

My understanding is that DIR discourage the use of computers in place of proper dive planning. That does not mean you cannot use an electronic depth timer (i.e. timer + depth gauge). Just means you are discouraged to solely rely on your computer to tell you what you should do.

So to answer your question, I believe that using your computer in gauge mode is DIR and you may also want to get a backup depth timer in case your computer (in gauge mode) fails.

Once again, I'm not DIR, so if any part of the above is incorrect, go easy on my stroke ass!

If this is the case, where do I find an analog wrist mounted depth gauge? I looked on scubatoys quickly in their tech section, and didn't see anything...

We have them... it's the same wrist boot that a computer uses: Empty Computer Wrist Boot, Computers: Air, ScubaToys, Empty Computer Wrist Boot and you just put the gauge you want in there. And we can sell you any of the gauges by them selves.. not in a console. Just give a shout and we can get you hooked up.

You don't need analog and you don't need a backup. Your buddy is your backup. You have an incomplete understanding of DIR. I would strongly encourage a Fundamentals class and referring to the GUE website.

I second what RTodd said. And here's why: Without some training in GUE dive planning and the other topics that go along with that, then you aren't likely to be very happy with a bottom timer. Without that knowledge I think you'll find it limits your diving compared to a computer. Without some ability to calculate your MDL's on the fly and adjust your profile during the dive you're going to be more restricted in your rec profiles.

If you are just looking for streamlining then you are on the right track by getting rid of your console and mounting your instruments on your wrists. If you already have a computer then spend your money on other things right now, take fundies if you choose, and then buy a bottom timer. That's what I did.

BTW a computer in gauge mode is DIR and you don't need a back-up.

Hunter

EDIT: PS - I didn't mean to imply that GUE is the only source for the knowledge necessary to dive easily with a bottom timer, but it's the only agency that I know of where it is a part of the curriculum. It certainly is not new info/techniques, but it's just not really taught anymore.

Great thanks guys - that clears up my question more than sufficiently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom