Scary message written after reg. service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MN Lakeman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just picked up my 3 year old reg set from my LDS after its annual service & received this message written by the technician, attached to receipt:

"Your reg is your LIFE SUPPORT. This reg was very poorly maintained excesive corrosion on 1st stage & filter full of mold. If you were allergic to mold you would be dead. Some discoloration on the 2nd stage (is due to) soaking in cleaner. The connection at the swivel end was very corroted & hard to separate w/o soaking in light acid bath."

After reading this, I freaked out that this equipment could possibly be in such bad repair, as I am sooo careful to rinse & soak my gear after dive. I have faithfully had it serviced each year (with NO message like this one!). Then, I felt downright insulted that this tech assumed I was blantently careless. But then again - he's made his point quite clear - this is my well being we're talking about. My only thought on how my reg got so messed up is that of my 40+ dives in the past year, 24 of them were on a liveaboard. As much as a guy tries to rinse gear after diving - its pretty hard to be thorough when you're diving 4 to 5 times a day!

My question is this: Should I be concerned that there is still irrepairable damage to my reg & octo? Does a full overhaul take care of all the concerned mechanics of a regulator?

I have heard of similar messages, even for those of use who think we are doing everything right, but in actuality may have room for improving the way we handle and clean our gear. The mold thing is a little scary though.

How are you cleaning off your regs, exactly? Rinsing, soaking, both?

I'd be concerned that my reg tech is a jerk, actually.

Live aboards can be a bit tough whenit comes to keeping SW out of your 1st stage & that sounds like what happened to yours reg. I always rinse the connection to the tank valve with a little water (my be a tight commodity) and remove and cap the 1st stage. After the tank is filled I always run a little gas thru the valve to blow out any water that may have found its way in before I reconnect the 1st. Good practice anytime a tank has been for a ride at sea with the valve unprotected.

I would not worry about any long term problem. Cleaning and service should take care of it.

BTW, I'd bet that black 'mold' was crap (oil) from an overworked compressor filter on the same liveaboard.

I'd ask your tech how "Some discoloration on the 2nd stage (is due to) soaking in cleaner." Since you are "sooo careful to rinse & soak my gear after dive" there shouldn't be cleaner in it or did I miss something in your post.

"The connection at the swivel end was very corroted & hard to separate w/o soaking in light acid bath." I think if you dive alot in salt water it's a given you going to have some corrosion in the connector since it's had to get it all out all the time." Perhaps if you plan on a similar dive schedule next year you should have it serviced at 6 mo intervals? As to the rebuild it should if it was rebuilt.

PADI Knight:
I'd ask your tech how "Some discoloration on the 2nd stage (is due to) soaking in cleaner." Since you are "sooo careful to rinse & soak my gear after dive" there shouldn't be cleaner in it or did I miss something in your post.

I believe the soak occured during the service.

It's not a bad idea to hook the regs back up and purge a couple times after a rinse to evacuate leftover liquid.

The thing about the mold is right. I diver I know had been dead sick for months and they couldn't put their finger on what was the cause. Came out that it was mold in his reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom