scared of water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're not confident in the water, you're really not ready to dive. Get some swimming lessons, then go snorkeling. Take up diving once you do get comfortable, because if you're not comfortable in the water, you won't enjoy diving.

Couldn't be said any better.

I think you need to know if you're really scared of water : can you put your head under water without panicking ? If you have no problem with this, taking swimming lessons and snorkelling will help you overcome your fear of the the deep end.
If you can't do this, maybe you need to work out on being comfortable with the element itself.

Im scratching my head figuring out why someone who cant swim and hates the water is even contemplating learning to dive.
It's an interesting question. I've always been attracted to water, especially what was under (flora, fauna, and the "feeling" of being underwater).
However, all I got was bad experiences (mother hating water, terrifying swim teachers at school) and I came out totally scared. Putting my head in water was out of the question, and swimming-pools were my worst nightmare.
One day, I decided to take a DSD and it was a revelation. I was scared to death, but it went very well...and all my fears of water disappeared. :)

I don't think you have to be a strong swimmer to be a scuba diver, but I do think you should know how to swim and be able to demonstrate enough proficiency to take care of yourself in the water. If you cannot swim, and it is to the point that you actually have a fear of the deep end of a swimming pool, what do you think that will do to you when you get into a deep spring or ocean and you have other things like buoyancy, NDL's, etc. to worry about that can become a little overwhelming? JMO, but I don't think anyone who cannot swim and has an actual fear of the water should even consider scuba until they overcome those obstacles first.

Please do yourself a favor and find a good swimming instructor who can help you get comfortable in the water first.

I will state the unpopular opinion.

Scuba diving is not for everyone.

You should also swim in open water if you can. It is a different experience. I used to be scared to dive down (free dive, not scuba) in water where I could not see the bottom (logical if you ask me) and obviously had to overcome that before taking up scuba. I did that by spending time swimming in open water and diving down into the unknown.

Last edited:
I taught swimming for a number of years. Best class for you would be an adault learn to swim program.

Basically it starts where kids start. Do each until you are comfortable with them.

Stand in the shallow end and emerse your body - get comforatble with this.
Next start by putting your face in the water with the back of your head out. Practice blowing a small bubble stream out the nose to stop water from entering.

Next put your head all the way under - yes you are still standing on the bottom.
Next try running / jumping accross the pool pulling yourself along with your arms.
next try hanging on to the edge and kicking your feet. The harder you kick the more you will feel yourself push against the wall.

Now try swimming in water where you can stand up. - take a lesson at this point to learn some strokes.

Practice treading water, swimming under water, swimming on the water.

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. after a couple hours to a couple hundred of hours you will become a stronger swimmer. Now you can hit the deep tank, take a wave over your head and or do any other skill.

You can also practice with a life jacket on if you are more comfortable with that initially however when you take it off you will not float as well and this can cause panic in some.

Good luck on learning to swim. I would do this before I ever considered diving.

I am also baffled as to why a non-swimmer would want to learn to dive. What would you do if your gear failed or you lost a fin? You would probably drown which wouldn't be fun for anyone.

As everyone has said, start small. I would check with your local YMCA and see what swim lessons are offered there. Also check any local swim clubs to see what they offer there for lessons. I just recently did an adult swim lesson at the Y. I wanted to work on my strokes but I also had people in class with me that was afraid of the water. The one guy made good progress and was working on strokes with me by the end of class.

Good Luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom