Saw my first Blue Ringed Octopus this weekend...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I knew they were around Izu and other divers in our groups have occasionally seen them, but this is the first time for me in the 7 years diving here...

Unfortunately, due to his location positioned in some rocks, I was not able to get a good focus on him for photo, but did manage some video.

His behavior was quite different from other Octos, who once they realize they've been see scurry into a hold and pull a shell over top...Once it became clear that we were not going anywhere, he began putting on a display of colors, swim patterns and posturing to make it absolutely clear,"In case you hadn't noticed, I'm a BLUE RINGED OCTOPUS...Hello!"

He was half the size of my fist, but had heaps of attitude. I especially liked when he was flashing his body Yellow to accentuate the blue rings...

I've got a bit of video with him near the end of this short weekend video...

YouTube - Osezaki - Nov 13&14 2010

Here is a great link I just found on Blue Ringed Octos:
Blue Ringed Octopus Facts and Underwater Photos|Underwater Photography Guide

I didn't know, they actually produce two kinds of venom...one for hunting, one for self defense...

That's so awesome!! We have them down here too but I've not seen one yet either. I had a friend see 2 on one dive, pfft.

That's a pretty spectacular animal. I hope I get to see one some day!

I guess that I will have to try to get down to Osezaki sometime soon to try to find him. Hopefully I will have a newly certified diver after this week to bring with me.

I was able to capture a still from the video I took...it's the best frame of the bunch...but still not very good...

Attachments

• BlueRingedOcto_cr2.jpg
    BlueRingedOcto_cr2.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 252
Well, the resolution might not be as high as you wanted it to be, but the blue rings seem to flare out from the screen!

That's still a really good pic. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom