Saw a shark today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Port Tack

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Nope, not while diving but along the beach close to the Katrina destroyed pier in Gulf Shores. I was walking down the beach toward the pier, going to catch a few bluefish when I found a Scuba mask (pretty nice, but had been in the water a while). The bluefish were schooling about 25-30 yards off-shore and I was about to wade out a little when I saw the fin. Something ominous about that fin. Never actually saw the shark, just the fin. I decided against wading out, continued on down the beach and found the snorkel that went with the mask.
I just found it amusing to find a mask and snorkel on the beach and see the shark all in about a 50 yard stretch of beach. The bluefish were biting around the pier and I caught a few along with those blasted hard tails. It was a fun day, even though no diving was involved.

Mike

Port Track
I heard about this post at work today before I even got home:rofl3: . Why you ask? Well I finally got my sisters son-in-law all signed up for his open water and was going to put my son-in-law in this Wednesdays class along with my daughter:sharkattack: on top of this I just bought some new equipment and a new Lowrance GPS/Finder for my boat. Now their all freaking out on me. I had just explained to them they will seldom see any sharks along the beach and very few offshore:55:

It's good to hear the blues are running maybe the fishing will pick up some here along the beach

I do have to admit that I walk the beach a lot and seeing a shark is a rare event. It just seemed kind of funny to find the mask and snorkel and see the shark in the same spot. The blues were tearing up the water pretty good and were easy to catch at the old pier site. There was a group of fly fishermen having fun with them. They were not big, but were good eating size.

Port Track
You may be just the guy I need to talk to. If I recall right you sail out of Fairhope often don’t you? If so are you familiar with the Lowrance GPS? I’ve downloaded the emulator to play around with to try in understand how it works The GPS system is all new to me it’s nothing like a handheld And if I keep having trouble would you help me out some with it? I would be happy to pay you for your time

Hello Tom: I would be happy to help you, but my GPS knowledge is limited to handhelds also. I sail out of Fairhope, but only use a compass and handheld GPS on my boat. I bet you will not have much trouble figuring it out. Good luck.

Mike

Port Tack:
Nope, not while diving but along the beach close to the Katrina destroyed pier in Gulf Shores. I was walking down the beach toward the pier, going to catch a few bluefish when I found a Scuba mask (pretty nice, but had been in the water a while). The bluefish were schooling about 25-30 yards off-shore and I was about to wade out a little when I saw the fin. Something ominous about that fin. Never actually saw the shark, just the fin. I decided against wading out, continued on down the beach and found the snorkel that went with the mask.
I just found it amusing to find a mask and snorkel on the beach and see the shark all in about a 50 yard stretch of beach. The bluefish were biting around the pier and I caught a few along with those blasted hard tails. It was a fun day, even though no diving was involved.

Mike

I HAVE BEEN DIVING THAT AREA LATELY. HOPEFULLY I WILL GET SOME PHOTOS. THATS A GREAT SHORE DIVE LOTS OF MARINE LIFE. BUT I HAVENT SEEN A SHARK THERE YET SO MAYBE MY LUCK WILL CHANGE.

Back
Top Bottom