Saving for a trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gkrane

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am saving for a liveaboard trip to indonesia on the side of my yearly carribean diving trips but am overwhelmed at the options and just dont know where to go. I understand a liveaboard is the best option. The airfare cost to indonesia is what keeps me going back to the caribbean since our dive trips are usually inclusive of the whole family. Anyhow, what we would like to see are sharks, clownfish and powder blue tangs/surgeonfish (for my wife), mantas, beautiful soft coral, vast amounts of colorful fish ike anthias and the such. We are definitely more into reefs than muck diving. Is there a place that incorporates all of these? If we travel across the world for a liveaboard I would really like it to be a top spot that isn't a huge hassle to get to.

I'm in a similar spot so I'll be watching. Philippines, Bali to Komodo, wakatobI all sound great but I could do a month in the Caribbean for the price.....but just have save up and to do it.

Sharks, mantas, soft coral, tons of fish equals Komodo- one easy flight beyond Bali. Raja Ampat fits the bill too, but isnt quite as sharky and manta-y as Komodo. R4 is also a bit more challenging travel. So yeah- Komodo.

There are a ton of solid liveaboards at a number of different price points. They all dive pretty much the same spots, so do some research here and book one that fits your budget and needs. The high end boats are incredibly luxurious while the backpacker boats are pretty much camping at sea. I have done luxury boats and had a blast, but do not think you need to spend thousands to have a great trip. A few years ago I did six days with Wicked Diving (Kind of a high end backpacker boat: no AC, shared toilets with lukewarm showers, sleeping on deck, etc..) and had a ton of fun and amazing dive guides. That being said, at 46 my Komodo backpacker days are over, and Iwill be showering with hot water in an en suite bathroom with AC this June. :)

FWIW, diving in the Coral triangle makes the Caribbean look sorta like...let's just say the diving here is kinda awesome.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Last edited:
As long as the boat(liveaboard to Komodo) is not infested with bedbugs!!!!
Do your homework first, search on line eg. TripAdvisor.

Allow few days to explore the top side attractions in Bali.

Picking up on @matts1w post.

The Wicked liveaboard in Komodo now has AC in the cabins, but the shared marine heads and luke warm water still persist. I had a great time last year for a week and a half with my wife and two friends. I might go again or might upgrade to something slightly more higher end (we're both 50)

Regarding Komodo vs R4

We visited both last year. Komodo at the Aug New Moon, Misool in southern R4 in Febuary

We had way more action in Misool than we did in Komodo especially Manta's (both reef and Oceanic in Misool vs reef only in Komodo) the Reefs and coral around Misool are just a magnitude higher than Komodo. There are more Liveaboards in Komodo and some sites are within range of day boats so it can get a little more crowded.

Misool is an island, some liveaboards do visit for a few days but they only hit a few sites. I've always been on a liveaboard so was scepital about Misool but it didn't let us down. It's on it's own small island. If you feel like taking a dive off, you can relax in your villa, play in the lagoon or hike to the view point. Personally I loved going to a deserted remote beach for breakfast between the first 2 dives

That said Misool might be a little expensive for some. But of all the places in the world I have dive, it was the one which took my breath away and exceeded the marketing

Reactions: Dan
I agree, Komodo and Raja are the two choices. Raja does have some sharks but not a lot of encounters, but many wobbegongs, black tips, and the occasional grey reefs at places like Boo and Blue Magic. Komodo has a few especially at Castle and Crystal. However, sharks are not the main thing to see in either location. Raja is better for schools of fish and colourful corals and has a large number of dive sites (it's a much larger area). Komodo probably has a greater variety of inverts if you like things like nudis and the smaller denizens of the reef. Both are great places to visit. Better question is, what time of year are you thinking?

Reactions: Dan
Diving Dubai, I'm trying to ascertain whether or not you've also done a Raja Ampat lob or only Misool land based? If so, are you saying that your Misool experience over shone that of lob? Thanks

Hi Chilly

My experience of R4 is only Misool land based. It's teh only land based I've ever done - I'm an ardent LOB diver. However yes, I feel it was way better than a LOB experience would be. The max boat ride is 15mins to a site. The LOB's hang around for 2-3 days before they venture off. I was in no way disappointed with the diving and the resort, and we're used to good diving at home so while not hard to please, we know what we like and are not easily impressed

For me not only was the diving great, but the operation ensured that the groups were all well aligned. You didn't get mismatched groups containing photographers with people who wanted to go play in currents for instance.. Max 4 to a guide. It's a resort for divers only, I think max 40 people. Nitrox and larger cylinders are available, as are Pony's

Teh Founders and the dive staff, go out exploring from time to time and know a lot of areas that the LOB's don't. With a LOB, you'll still get the big name sites, Magic Mountain, Nudi Rock and whale island etc, and you'll get to sites out of reach of Misool.

What makes Misool special is that they have a no catch zone, so outside of the area the sites aren't as full of life. The only Muck divign we did was for mandarin fish and they're on the house reef :)

And then I checked prices . . .. groan. How's the food?

RA and Komodo are fabulous , best in the world destinations. However there is excellent diving to be enjoyed in Bali at very reasonable prices. Lembongan can be accessed via Bali or you can stay on the island with some of the experienced operators. Food and accomodation are also very reasonable. We have looked at Carribean diving and have ended up always going back to Asia for it's excellent diving at such reasonable costs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom