saving digital images

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdwho

Contributor
Reaction score
During our recent trip to GCayman and LCayman, we tried out our new Oly C-50 and housing. Unfortunately, my skills as a diver far outpace my computer skills, so I'm hoping someone out there can give me a little help.

The camera came with "Camedia Master 4.1" software, which I've installed. However, as best I can tell, this software doesn't let me "save" the images from the memory card onto a CDR. Am I missing something?

More importantly, while in GCayman, I stopped by a camera store and had them save the images from the Little Cayman leg of the trip onto a CDR. Is there some way I can now transfer those images into a file stored on my computer?

Thanks
Seth

sdwho once bubbled...
Is there some way I can now transfer those images into a file stored on my computer?

Thanks
Seth

It should be quite easy.....
First option - connect your camera to computer with USB cable (should be included), go to My Computer and open the new drive and copy the pictures to anywhere you like

Second option - buy a SD/CF/xD card reader, put your memory card in it and connect to computer, then go to My Computer ..... etc.

khel

Khel is right, you can save directly from your camera to your hard drive using the USB cable or card reader as he instructed.

I recommend Photoshop Elements for manipulating your photos. It's inexpensive and does everything you need without getting into all the bells and whistles of full Photoshop at $600-700!

sdwho once bubbled...
During our recent trip to GCayman and LCayman, we tried out our new Oly C-50 and housing. Unfortunately, my skills as a diver far outpace my computer skills, so I'm hoping someone out there can give me a little help.

The camera came with "Camedia Master 4.1" software, which I've installed. However, as best I can tell, this software doesn't let me "save" the images from the memory card onto a CDR. Am I missing something?

More importantly, while in GCayman, I stopped by a camera store and had them save the images from the Little Cayman leg of the trip onto a CDR. Is there some way I can now transfer those images into a file stored on my computer?

Thanks
Seth

This is a two part question so I'll give you a two part answer.

First. None of the software that I am aware of will allow you to "save" your images directly from the camera to a CDR. (Or from your hard drive either, for that matter) You will need some kind of CDR burner (hardware) and burning software such as Roxio Toast. With Toast for instance, you can drag and drop the images into the software from either the Windows Explored (Microsoft) or the Finder (Mac). If it is connected to your computer, the camera will normally appear as a separate hard drive. If they are on CDs already, then the CD will show up separately. Ooopps. I guess that answers the second part too. Just drag the images from the CD to the hard drive. You could open them individually from the CD and then save them to the hard drive but selecting them all at once and dragging them to the hard drive is much quicker.

Hope that helps a bit.

...With Win XP, can't you copy/move from the camera or hard drive to the CD burner? I only did it once on a friends laptop but I think that's all there was to it.

Dee once bubbled...
...With Win XP, can't you copy/move from the camera or hard drive to the CD burner? I only did it once on a friends laptop but I think that's all there was to it.

Yes WinXP can do it, just less efficient and slower than other CD-burner program. Even if your file is already on your harddrive, winXP will need to read it and copy it to another temp file before writing it to CD or something to that effect.

I knew someone would know more about it than me! But it's good to know XP WILL do it in a pinch.

XP may be slower in theory but in real life it doesn't make any difference--for me anyway. You select the photos you want to burn and paste them into the folder that XP sets up for you. The transfer takes a minute for a full CD's worth of pictures. From there the burning is controlled by software licensed from Roxio and takes place at the same rate as using Easy CD or anything else I've tried. I hate to say this but I really like XP.

I have to agree the drag and drop capability of Win XP is super simple and reliable even if it adds and extra step of copying to a temp file. Given how easy it is, it is in not any slower than opening another application and going through the motions there to burn a file to CD.

If you are running Windows XP and plug your camera in without having the camedia software running, the camera will show up in a window on the desktop as a removeable disc. (E:/DCIM in my case)

Click through a couple of folders and the movie will be there. You can then right click on start, open another explorer window and copy/paste the movie anywhere you like.

If you paste to a CD burner, it will show as "files ready to be written to CD" . You just need to select "File"/"write these files to CD" and follow the prompts.

Similarly with pictures, you can plug in the camera and access the images through explorer. Click on the removeable drive and you can copy/paste them to another folder or access them directly. If you have, for example Photoshop, designated to open the file type, then double clicking on the file will open the file in the application.

Back
Top Bottom