Save our Sharks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sefuchs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Scuba Life Cozumel is collaborating with local fishermen to transition from shark fishing to shark tourism, aiming to protect sharks in the Caribbean. The team at Scuba Life, led by JP, who is often referred to as a 'Shark whisperer,' has a long-standing passion for sharks. JP has devoted himself to this initiative and other shark conservation efforts, recently partnering with the Saving our Sharks Foundation. He has educated his team on the importance of shark conservation and allocates a substantial part of their income to these causes. JP has established a GoFundMe campaign (Donate to Help Satellite Shark Tagging Research in Isla Mujeres, organized by JUAN PABLO MATURANA MORALES) to support the Saving our Shark project. Consider visiting the campaign and contributing if you support the cause and wish to become a "Shark Hero".

Below is part of the info Scuba Life info sent to me that I wanted to share on the ScubaBoard forum:

Maybe you’ve been on our Facebook or Instagram lately? If you have, I’m sure you’ve seen how excited we are about seeing MORE SHARKS in Cozumel. “You’re so LUCKY! I want to see one when we go diving!” - That’s what everyone keeps saying, but those who are in the KNOW, know that it’s not LUCK!
The lucky ones are us, Scuba Life Cozumel - We have been working with the ex-fishermen of the Kab Xoc Cooperative —they are the ones who have made the shark sightings possible. Yep, that’s right! Earlier this year, we found the missing piece to the Scuba Life Cozumel puzzle: a way to give back to the local community. If you know us, you know we are passionate about SHARKS! We are incredibly proud to have teamed up with the Saving Our Sharks Foundation, becoming “Shark Heroes.” Part of this collaboration included training the ex-fishermen (dubbed “Masters of the Sea”) for their Advanced Open Water certification. Not only did we accomplish that, but we also certified 10 of them as PADI Rescue Divers. We hope to start their PADI Divemaster courses soon too. July will mark TWO years they've dropped their hooks, no more fishing - but rather working on conservation efforts to make a BIG change here in Quintana Roo!
In short, we have been completely captivated by this project—this mission—this collaboration—and the opportunity to make history in MEXICO. This initiative is such a win-win for everybody; for the fishermen, for the ocean, for tourism. It’s really exciting to see people embracing sharks. We are here screaming at the top of our lungs: SAVE OUR SHARKS, and we’re sure you want to join us. We have set up a GoFundMe campaign, and it would mean a lot to us if you could take a moment to check it out. We want to continue seeing sharks, and we want YOU to see sharks on your next trip. If you’re not able to contribute, no worries at all. Sharing the link with your friends and dive buddies would be incredibly helpful.
Save our Sharks GoFundMe link: https://gofund.me/c06532fe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom