Save my stress.. just TELL me what to do! LOL!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought I would post a few 1030SW raw pics... ;0) Looks like you made up your mind, but maybe someone else who comes across this thread might be interested. I definitely think there are much better cameras out there - but this little guy gives you a good bang for your buck.

Attachments

• PA140031.jpg
    PA140031.jpg
    432 KB · Views: 35
  • PA140568.jpg
    PA140568.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 34
Since you're leaning toward an inexpensive P&S, if you're unable to find the A570, you might want to consider the A720. It's discontinued as well but if you're able to find one, B&H was recently selling the Ikelite housing for $200. This is the set-up I'm currently using and am quite happy with it.

nudi-whbluora.jpg

The 720 is a fine camera but my earlier measurements indicated that it might be marginal with wide angle lenses and since that time several have reported vignetting and blurred edges with wide angle lenses and the A720 so, just keep that in mind, otherwise, it is a nice camera. The higher zoom ratio and larger diameter front lens element are the culprit when coupling with available wets lenses. N

Sigh.. so, now I deal with the aftermath of reading the coulda/shoulda/wouldas... LOL! Though, it's a done deal... yeh, I found out it was discontinued (that's probably why I marked it off my original list). But.. I ended up getting one from eBay anyway. I then got the Canon housing for it from some other site (the cheap ones on Canon's eStore were all gone.. blah). With shipping and all.. I'm only out $325 total! That's pretty cheap! My plan is just to "play" with it and see what happens.. if I'm not happy, I'll resell on eBay and start over.. LOL! I will be back to post an update!! :)

And for the record.. I didn't like anyone's pics better than anyone else's.. LOL! I loved them all!! Even where2next's, with his Olympus camera that most people frowned on.. lol. Now that I've FINALLY gotten situated with buying a camera, I can actually use my online time to look at ALL the pics on this site!

Thanks again for everyone's help!!

I'm sure that you are aware that the G9 is the model that was replaced by the G10. It's what I have. There are pros and cons to each. I like the fact that the G9 has 1024 x 768 video. It also has the ability to use the add on 67mm wide angle and macro wet lenses. which is not feasible (or cost much more) for the G10.
It uses the same sensor as the G10 with 28 MP/cm² vs 34 MP/cm² pixel density, which gives, what I believe is better image quality.
You can get used housings and add on WA lenses for it at reasonable prices.
samples @ Cozumel Boat Diving

I have not used the 1030SW, but I wholeheartedly agree that you should not invest in a camera that does not allow manual control. That camera has been replaced by the Sylus Tough 6000 anyway.

Sigh.. so, now I deal with the aftermath of reading the coulda/shoulda/wouldas... LOL! Though, it's a done deal... yeh, I found out it was discontinued (that's probably why I marked it off my original list). But.. I ended up getting one from eBay anyway. I then got the Canon housing for it from some other site (the cheap ones on Canon's eStore were all gone.. blah). With shipping and all.. I'm only out $325 total! That's pretty cheap! My plan is just to "play" with it and see what happens.. if I'm not happy, I'll resell on eBay and start over.. LOL! I will be back to post an update!! :)

And for the record.. I didn't like anyone's pics better than anyone else's.. LOL! I loved them all!! Even where2next's, with his Olympus camera that most people frowned on.. lol. Now that I've FINALLY gotten situated with buying a camera, I can actually use my online time to look at ALL the pics on this site!

Thanks again for everyone's help!!

You did good grasshopper.

N

Modified DC-12 housing with Inon AD lens adapter and homemade Ikelite tray adapter:

DSCF0029.jpg

DSCF0028.jpg

DSCF0027.jpg

N

Newbie -

Good for you on making a decision!! That seems to be the hardest part a lot of the time :)

You're going to have a blast with your new camera AND with learning how to dive. Now get to it - we want to see!!

yes, i agree, making a decision is the hard part.

Leard to dive asap now & leave the camera onshore till you have had some practise. i've seen too many people who don't get the basics of diving right in the first place get into trouble. Your life is more important than some photos!

first tip is to get your weight right, get someone to help you to be perfectly weighted at 6meters when you have 40bar in your cylinder (you should normally surface with 50 bar, but if you get into difficulties you may have less and may need to do some deco, the last thing you need then is to be too light).

enjoy your diving, get yourself some good books on underwater life in the area you dive in, learn their behavour & watch them, when you start taking photographs they will be all the better for knowing where to look & what to look for.

SO.. I haven't been back, as I've been irritated that I haven't gotten all my equipment and was having "photo taking withdrawals" (I knew seeing photos here would stress me even more). But anyway.. here's the update!! I ordered my Canon camera and got it a few days later. However, the flippin' housing for it I ordered (the Canon brand) was never sent, as they say it's backordered!! It's been over a month now and I finally called today and told them to just cancel the whole thing!! I will order elsewhere I guess (and my new camera has just sat in the box all this time.. aside from my initial playing).

BUT.. to hold me over in the meantime, I ended up getting this $30 plastic sack thing from eBay for my old Nikon Coolpix 5600. I figured if it leaked and my camera got ruined, I'd be alright. WELL.. not only has this cheap thing NOT leaked, I've been really please with my pics!!! Not sure if anyone remembers the embarassing shots I shared last month with the first underwater camera I had.. but these are like a 100% improvement!!

I have NO idea what these things are.. lol.. but you get the idea!! :)

Attachments

• five12.jpg
    five12.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 23
  • four03.jpg
    four03.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 23
  • four10.jpg
    four10.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 21
  • four14.jpg
    four14.jpg