Saturdays Photo....first C-5050 shots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I got to get the new camera and housing wet today. I mostly like the new camera. The 2 handed operation of the jog dial sucks underwater! Topside it isn't bad at all, but with the camera in the housing, it's just a tad too big for my hand. I can't get the leverage needed to hold and push buttons with one hand and hold and work the dial with the other. The dial doesn't move as freely with the housing knob. Either that my thumb is too short to get a good grip on it. I'm hoping with more practice, I'll work out these bugs. I'm definately going to make a hand strap for it. Also having a tray and strobe in a week or so may also help tremendously. So I'll keep working on it to find that perfect fit.

These are just a few of the pictures taken....

aay.sized.jpg

abd.sized.jpg

aaz.sized.jpg

abf.sized.jpg

This is how we know we're at our home dock...
aba.sized.jpg

That third one is a shot of the coated metal grid that is the floor of the platform and one of the support beams showing through with all that algae growth on it.

Those shots look good as usual Dee. Makes me miss TL even more...<sigh>...

chrispete once bubbled...
...Makes me miss TL even more...<sigh>...

You know how to fix that, don'tcha? :wink: :eek:ut:

We've been missing you...come back soon!

Dee,

I agree with you--the jog dial is difficult to use underwater! Thats the only thing I have discovered that I dont like--and I often wonder if the IKE housing is any different/easier.

Hey Dee, congratulations on getting the new camera wet!

I just picked up an Oly 5050 and PT-015 this week myself and got it wet for the first time today too! Your enthusiastic posts about this camera over the last few weeks convinced me to pull the trigger on this long contemplated purchase. I ordered from NewEgg on Monday and got the camera on Thusday!

I didn't have much time to experiment with the camera before diving, but managed to get a few of custom modes dialed in first for Macro and SuperMacro. I agree about the Jog Dial, it's a bit tough to use under water. I wonder if it would be easier if there was a rubber coating on it rather than plastic. Turning it with dry gloves on was a bit tough.

All in all, it's an awesome camera and I am really happy with the results. A big step up from my Canon S40.

A buddy and I went for a boat dive in South Puget Sound, out of Tacoma. Here are the best shots of the day:

A Juvenille Wolf Eel
JuvieWolf_DalcoWall.jpg

Red Irish Lord - Love those eyeballs
RedIrishLord.jpg

Scalyhead Sculpin - Thank you Super Macro! This little guy is about 3 inches long.
ScalyHead.jpg

Painted Anemonie
Anemonie.jpg

SeaBlubber Jelly Fish - A big boy, main body was about 3 feet long.
SeaBlubber.jpg

Dave Hicks

[Olympus C5050 + Ikelite DS-125]

Today's dives with the camera went much better! I've figured out how I need to hold the PT-015 housing so I can work the knobs and buttons easier. The only thing still giving me trouble is the jog dial. I just can not spin that thing with my thumb. Especially after my skin starts getting softer and pruning up. I have to grasp the dial with thumb and forefinger. Maybe with practice that will get faster.

With a set of 2200 NiMH batteries, auto focus on, screen left on, flash used on about half the shots, and constant use....I got 3 full dives and about 120 pictures off one charge. Not bad!

With every use I'm happier with this set-up. I should have my Fisheye tray sometime this week so the next step is to try the strobe, although the visibility doesn't lend itself to a strobe very well!

Here are a few samples of todays results....

abp.sized.jpg

abo.sized.jpg

abh.sized.jpg

abl.sized.jpg

abm.sized.jpg

Dee,
I think I mentioned in one fo the emails that never made it to you, try the thumb and middle finger for the jog dial knob. You can push the knob with your thumb while it is being "pulled" with your finger. I found it much easier than the thumb and forefinger.
TedJ

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom