Saturday October 6th Diving - Monterey, CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh and you people who have dove Lobos alot. How much hassle will the rangers give if you replace a diver at the last minute? My buddy dropped out on me, but I never got a chance to call the park and give them the name and cert card number of the diver replacing him. I know they won't let you dive by yourself, but how strict are they on the name?

Monterey Bay forecast looks a little better since its last update. Sunday looks diveable for sure. Saturday won't be flat, that's for sure. But just watch the wave sets before hand and be careful. They might change the forecast on us again, so keep watching.

PZZ535-060545-
/O.CON.KMTR.SC.Y.0109.000000T0000Z-071006T0700Z/
MONTEREY BAY-
230 PM PDT FRI OCT 5 2007

...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL MIDNIGHT PDT
TONIGHT...

.TONIGHT...NW WINDS 15 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS TO 25 KT...DECREASING
TO 5 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 4 FT. NW SWELL 4 TO 8 FT
AT 12 SECONDS.
.SAT...E WINDS 5 KT...BECOMING W 5 TO 10 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND
WAVES LESS THAN 2 FT. NW SWELL 4 TO 8 FT AT 11 SECONDS.
.SAT NIGHT...NW WINDS 5 TO 10 KT...BECOMING W AFTER MIDNIGHT.
WIND WAVES LESS THAN 2 FT. NW SWELL 3 TO 7 FT AT 11 SECONDS.
.SUN...E WINDS 5 KT...BECOMING W IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES
1 FT OR LESS. NW SWELL 3 TO 6 FT.
.SUN NIGHT...W WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. WIND WAVES LESS THAN 2 FT.
NW SWELL 2 TO 5 FT.

Well, guess we can head out there and see what it's like. :) If it is as bad as Chuck's tone implies, then we can always go to the aquarium and imagine that we're diving with the fishes...

I was actually thinking that if Lover's is a bit wonky for Sat night, we might wish to just try Breakwater ......... anyhow, I will meet up with everyone as planned @ Lovers at 6:30 pm.

That sounds like a good plan. :D

Cool. Thanks for the answer, Chuck. I'll just change it at the gate then.

Sara,
That was my thinking as well. However, isn't Breakwater always the backup plan? :wink: See you guys tomorrow (12 for the early dive at McAbee)

Brad

Sara, I'll give you a call if plans change for the nite dive spot.

I'll see all of you who plan to do the day McAbee dive at noon tomorrow.

We dived Local's Ledge today and the swells were actually pretty tame. An occasional six footer, but for the most part three to four feet. Wind was pretty light. The vis was 50-60 feet, but some surge. Temp was 50 degrees.

On the way out there were THOUSANDS of jellies on the surface. Maybe tens of thousands!

Once at the dive site we were greeted by a huge pod of Risso's Dolphins, spy hopping and breaching.

Overall a very nice day. Wind picked up in the afternoon, as usual.

Back tomorrow for more fun.

On the way out there were THOUSANDS of jellies on the surface. Maybe tens of thousands!

Once at the dive site we were greeted by a huge pod of Risso's Dolphins, spy hopping and breaching.

Mark and I did a whalewatching tour out of Moss Beach on Saturday and there were quite a # of the moon jellies floating around on the surface off the coast of MB. We were hoping to see a mola mola as well, but no luck :( . About 6 miles off shore there were MASSIVE amounts of the Risso's - hard to guess how many, but probably a couple of hundred. Also another kind of dolphin - Northwestern something ... (?) - black, no dorsal fin. We have some video of them swimming off the bow --- amazing!

Back
Top Bottom