Sartek (or HID in general) owners, any maintenance suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theatis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am the proud new owner of a 10W Sartek light, the Mini 5. I've used it twice so far in the murk of Lake Travis, once on a night dive. So far I love everything about it but since this is my first HID light i don't really have a frame of reference.

Do any Sartek owners have specific maintenance suggestions for this light or any general suggestions from HID owners? Should i keep the Li-On battery in the fridge as is generally suggested for this type of battery? Should i remove and service the O-rings? My manual doesn't specify this (either positively or negatively) but it seems to suggest that i shouldn't since it advises against unscrewing the top; what do other Sartek owners do? Is there any maintenance required for the lighthead itself?

Any other tips beyond the scope of the above questions will also be most appreciated.

the only tip i have is that i was told it was good to charge the battery for 24hrs once a month whether it's used or not.

From Salvo diving's site:

How should I care for my Li-Ion batteries?

Your Li-Ion battery is 14.8 volts nominal. A fully charged Li-Ion battery will show between 16.6 and 17volts fully charged
To charge the Li-Ion battery, connect the charger to the wall outlet and then connect the other end of the charge to the battery. A solid red light indicates the battery is charging. A solid green light indicates the battery is charged
Li-Ion batteries hold a charge for a long period of time. If you connect the battery to the charger and the light stays green, it is because the battery is fully charged. You can discharge the battery for a few minutes to make the charger register a low enough voltage to begin the charging process
Each Li-Ion battery pack contains IC chips to insure both over charge and over discharge protection. It is not necessary to leave the battery connected to the charger after the charging process
There is evidence to show that leaving the Li-Ion battery at about 30% charge will extend the life of the battery. It is best to store the battery in a cool dry place. Li-Ion batteries are rated at maintaining 80% capacity after 300 cycles under normal use
You should always charge your battery before a dive to insure a full charge
Li-Ion batteries do not develop a memory.

Thanks guys, looks like i'll be keeping mine in the fridge. It's very convenient by the way if you think about it: the battery is best stored with some charge (other sources say 50% rather than Salvo's 30% suggestion) and needs to be charged periodically. So, if you dive a couple of times then store it as is, then charge it before your next outing, you are following both suggestions every time.

Any tips for canister care?

theatis:
Thanks guys, looks like i'll be keeping mine in the fridge. It's very convenient by the way if you think about it: the battery is best stored with some charge (other sources say 50% rather than Salvo's 30% suggestion) and needs to be charged periodically. So, if you dive a couple of times then store it as is, then charge it before your next outing, you are following both suggestions every time.

Any tips for canister care?

If it's an acrylic canister I would make sure not to drop it + I leave most of my latches - unlatched. No need to compress O rings when not in use. I do this with my all my scooters which use Neilson latches. Carl's (Sartek) lights are terrific.

Back
Top Bottom