Question Santi Thermovalve polarity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris H

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My drysuit with the Santi Thermovalve is in the shop. I have a backup suit with a LM Heater Valve in it, and I’m planning on soldering the mating connection for my Santi Vest and gloves. Will somebody please check the polarity on the portion of the quick connect with the yellow collar? It likely doesn’t matter, but I’d prefer to not short something if it does.

Thanks.

I could be wrong, but I did not care which direction when I soldered mine. The gloves and vest do not seem to care

My drysuit with the Santi Thermovalve is in the shop. I have a backup suit with a LM Heater Valve in it, and I’m planning on soldering the mating connection for my Santi Vest and gloves. Will somebody please check the polarity on the portion of the quick connect with the yellow collar? It likely doesn’t matter, but I’d prefer to not short something if it does.

Thanks.
Best to test with a volt meter

Best to test with a volt meter
I understand that. I don’t have access to my Santi valve, and I’m trying to make my backup suit ready to use the Santi heated vest. I want to make sure that if polarity matters on the vest that I get it correct when I solder the new connector to my other heater valve.

Resistor heating elements don't care about polarity.
Power going into the heat controller, polarity matters.
Load attached (the heater wires) to the controller doesn't matter.

Resistor heating elements don't care about polarity.
Power going into the heat controller, polarity matters.
Load attached (the heater wires) to the controller doesn't matter.
Agree on all statements, but don't all modern DC powered devices have in-built diode switch to prevent reversed polarity?

Agree on all statements, but don't all modern DC powered devices have in-built diode switch to prevent reversed polarity?
Properly engineered, yes. But I won't say all modern DC powered devices are properly engineered. I've opened up enough stuff and seen my share of really sketchy sh!t. Cost cut to the point any protection has been removed to save a penny.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom