Santi Smart Seal Leaking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GF99/99

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have an aprox. 3 year old Santi E Lite + with the Smart Seals with maybe 400hr of use on it and recently my left wrist is starting to leak. Its not bad its only to the point where maybe 4"-6" of the end of my long sleeve is damp but it is very annoying. I have tried removed the silicon seal cleaning all the rings and grooves etc very well with a new tooth brush and fresh water. I even tried a whole new silicon seal and still seems to have this ever so slight leak. As far as I can tell I am assembling it correctly as my right does not have issues and my friends that have the smart seals played around with it also and they assembled it the same way I do which is the same a the Santi Youltube video. I have noticed that if I close my dump valve and raise my left arm up and let alot of gas go up into the wrist I can see in 2 spots where the ring system presses in the wrist seal where small bubbles come out. If I squeeze the ring and "flex" it (for those that dont know the Santi Smart Seal ring is slightly pliable you can actually squeeze it and it will bend unlike the Kubi ridge style rings) a little I can kind of make it stop or the bubbles move to a different location. Also noticed that when I move my wrist is wired positions I can make it leak, especially when I'm scootering and I'm manipulating the trigger lock.

Any thoughts? My only though is that somehow the ring has deformed slightly (maybe to much sun or heat exposure) and now they do not seat together properly.

Has anyone else experienced the problem?

I had the same with an almost brand new suit. And it turned out it was the deflator on the left arm.
But now I can replace seals with the smartseals in less than 1 minute :wink: I have replaced the seals several times with new ones, cleaned ones, etc, but the leak came from the deflator. With testing you did not see a leak.

I had the same with an almost brand new suit. And it turned out it was the deflator on the left arm.
But now I can replace seals with the smartseals in less than 1 minute :wink: I have replaced the seals several times with new ones, cleaned ones, etc, but the leak came from the deflator. With testing you did not see a leak.

Sorry just for clarification when you say "deflator you mean the dump valve on the shoulder??

If so for me I'm about 99.99999% sure its not that, my upper arm is totally dry it is literally just my lower cuff on my undergarments that's damp and as mentioned before I can actually see small bubbles coming out from the seam between the ring and writs seal and when I squeeze the ring I can make the bubbles slightly stop, increase, decrease, or move to a different location on the seam depending on how I squeeze it.

Sorry just for clarification when you say "deflator you mean the dump valve on the shoulder??

If so for me I'm about 99.99999% sure its not that, my upper arm is totally dry it is literally just my lower cuff on my undergarments that's damp and as mentioned before I can actually see small bubbles coming out from the seam between the ring and writs seal and when I squeeze the ring I can make the bubbles slightly stop, increase, decrease, or move to a different location on the seam depending on how I squeeze it.
Yes I mean that. We call that here in the Netherlands a deflator of 'uitlaatventiel'. So maybe it is a little bit a 'dutch-english' word. Argo Deflator voor dry suit
Here it was that.
Have you tried HD latex seals if they don't leak?

Yes I mean that. We call that here in the Netherlands a deflator of 'uitlaatventiel'. So maybe it is a little bit a 'dutch-english' word. Argo Deflator voor dry suit
Here it was that.
Have you tried HD latex seals if they don't leak?

Nope only tried new silicon ones. I dive in the tropics a lot so latex is not really practical for me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom