Santi BZ 400 extreme

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use Gralmarine packs of at least 23Ah. Almost everybody else makes a 3S pack that only reaches 12.6V at full charge, quickly dropping to 11.1V.
Gralmarine uses 4S packs that at full charge are 16.8V, rapidly dropping to 14.8V. The differenece between a 3S and a 4S battery pack is noticable!

Michael

Hi
I use santi BZ400 heating system, diving on a scooter in water 4 C (39 F), all my friends and me say : it's uncomfortable, and if you don't use electric heating, there is nothing better than KWARK NAVY, even when you dive with scooter in cold water. If you try, you'll understand what I'm talking about.

El.

Hard to compare the weight we needed because I got the new drysuit and BZ400 at the same time. Before that I used a compressed neoprene drysuit with 200g underneath. At the shop they said we needed about 13lbs but that was not nearly enough (they forgot the carbon backplate...). We ended up using the same weight as before:

Neoprene + 200g and a 10L tank: 22lbs
Santi + BZ400 and the 10L tank: 22lbs
And now with the D12 about 17lbs

About washing the BZ400. I did it once hoping it would help making it less bulky a bit faster. Just didn't make a big difference at all, still felt really warm (and bulky).

I use BZ400E with battery powered heater for ice diving. Works very well for me. I get cold easy. Santi dry suit with heated Santi BZ400E, heated gloves and 400 gm rated socks. My sidemount harness is nothing more than a long strap with weight pouches and 2 AL80's, so I need 42 lbs of lead. With CCR, I need 22 lbs. All the gear and weight makes this a good workout. Due to COVID-19, Canada closed all parks and borders. City closed all pools. No more diving for a while. Bathtub diving starting to look like an option.

I find from my XLS FLEX190 to XL BZ400 it's roughly 8-9lb difference

Obviously the battery canister will need to adjust that weight depending on size

_R

I'm a big fan on a 50W vest under a weezle extreme+
The 4s lithium packs are a bit over voltage and will get you about 65W to start.
a 3s lithium pack is underdriving and the vest will be about 45w to start.
As the voltage drops so does the output.

If you go with a 3s pack you need to make it slightly larger to compensate for the voltage drop over time. Either battery is enough to keep you warm under a weezle down to 2C. I normally run mine about 60% power so 25-30W. On deco when the voltage has dropped I might turn it to high.

I don't like anything thinsulate, the loft just doesn't last. I question the need for 150W of heat. If you NEED that much, how on earth are you going to survive if the heat fails?

Thanks again. Michael, I liked the fly comment, certainly a funny image. I've read a bunch lately and have also heard about the potential thinsulate issues. My buddy, who dives it, hasn't noticed any issues, but good to be aware of it. I certainly appreciate all the help I've received. Jack Hammer, I'm now leaning towards a Santi heated vest ( under my Bare thermal ) and heated gloves with a canister battery. Not sure I'll be as warm as I really wanted, but I won't be adding 8 lbs to my rig. I'm guessing maybe 2 for the vest ??? Jack Hammer, any thoughts re added weight for the vest itself. Also, any issues with bulk from the vest under your thermal ? I'm at the point where adding too much weight is not the right direction for me, something else this forum has made me realize.

rjack, just noticed your post. Another point for a 50 w vest under my thermal. And another re insulate .

@coldwaterdufus
It adds a couple pounds of ballast. I do notice the extra width on land with it under all my other cold water insulation. Once in the water I dont really notice the extra girth.

I should point out that Santi says their undergarments can be washed as often as needed without affecting its warmth. This matches my personal experience as both my BZ200 and BZ400 have been machine washed several times and both still keep me comfy. I didn't have the same experience with my older thinsulate stuff, those lost a noticeable amount of warmth with washings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom