Santa Cruz Island Thursday 9th may...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trymixdiver

Reaction score
We headed out Thursday morning from Oxnard at 5:30am. The plan was to dive Santa Cruz Island. Unpon leaving the harbor the sea was rough, Winds out of the west at 20 knots seas 4-6'. Not the best conditions to go diving but we went anyway. From what the capatin said most boats turned back to port that morning. The only boat we saw the whole trip was a tanker and that was over a 12hr period.

After 90 min of getting tossed about we slipped in behind Anacapa and the conditions were much better. Thankfully the Capt picked this Sheltered approach the rest of the way to the back side of Santa Cruz.

We found a very well protected cove called Coches Prietos Anchorage and dropped anchor in about 38' of water in this glassy protected cove. We got debriefed from the Capt on the location and his expectations, and filled out the usual paperwork. We were staying at this location all day due to the weather so we didnt have any restrictions other than no dives after 2pm. it was 3.5 hours back to oxnard so this was a good time to leave.

I only did one dive ( others got two) but i was using my doubles so i figured i wouldnt have time for a 2nd dive anyway. I dropped in about 10am after having some excellent breakfast and vis was about 20 ' at the anchor. I swam outaway from the island to 66' and there was nothing but sand so i headed in to the 30-50' range with everyone else. On my way in i was accompanied by a 2' torpedo ray, they look like a perfect circle with a little shark like tail. I was happy to have seen one.

To the north side of the Anchorage were large boulders, one in particular was about 20' tall and at least 20 ' around. It lay in 60' with the top rising to 40' and it was encrusted with everything and quite colorful. There was alot of fish, Sunstars ( multi legged star fish) and about 4 or 5 of those very large crabs that look prehistoric. I was at min 45 of the dive at this point. Temp was cold, most people were getting 50-52.

After checking out all the boulders i headed south back toward the anchor line and then continued south past the anchor toward the kelp.

The south side of the anchorage was by far the best, i wish i did my full dive here.

The Vis was alot better over here, id say a consevative 30-40'. It was littered with boulders and rocks just like the other side. But as i swam further south i entered a kelp forest. The kelp was moderatly thick and started at 50' and went to the surface. These are my favoirite dives, swimming in and out of the kelp and rocks you get a chance to see some cool stuff. I was cruising in and out at about 43' with 30' of water under me to the bottom. The bottom terrian was steep and rocky which gradually sloped to sand at about 70-80'. The water was clear and i could see detail on the bottom 30 ' below. I continued to head further south enjoying the vis, kelp forest, sea bass and sheephead for about another 45 min putting me around 90 min at my turn around point.

I was starting to get cold so i made my way back through the kelp and over all the boulders, diving still but swimming a brisker pace and i hit the anchor line at min 110. I did end up doing 8 min at 10 on 50% and surfaced for a well deserved lunch. I hit the anchor line just as i incurred 1 min of deco at 10' and exited with 1000 psi. The computer they gave me to use didnt register any deco obligation, but mine did.

I stowed my gear well as instructed, the Capt had warned us the trip back was going to be much worse and to to put everything away that wasnt part of the boat. This is usually a bad sign :) After my gear was stowed the chef had a fantastic plate of grub waiting for me. Lunch was Lasagna and some sort of tossed green salad with lots of vegies and fruit pieces finished off with a homemade apple cobler she had made after they let her get one dive in. So i took some surface pics and waited for the others to surface from there 2nd dives.

The dive was great, vis was exceptional considering the sea state, the crew didnt think we would have more than 15' vis. Dispite the rough seas this was the best trip i have done even though i only did one long dive. I think i still had more BT than anyone else. So i made the best of the one dive i had. All and all a thumbs up! hell i should have been at work, it was thursday afterall.

The trip back was the roughest i have been in. The capt was saying it was the worse they had seen this season. His figures were winds from the west at 30 knots 4-8' seas with a heavy chop. I spent the time back picking up what kept falling over and trying to keep on myself from falling over. Had this boat not been 85' with an 20' beam i suspect we would have not gone at all. Some of the dive boats i have been on were under 65', i couldnt imagine coming back in those conditions in a smaller vessle than what we were on. yikes at the thought!

Andy

Going to work today is really gonna suck after spending thrusday diving!

I now understand why i dont dive out of Oxnard much, that was a hell of a drive from my place. 2 1/2 to 3 hours in the car is 3 times what i would normally do to catch a boat for diving.

I left on Wed night after work and traffic at 830 pm. Slept on the boat and we left once the two remaining divers arrived. Also, getting back to the dock at 530 pm Thursday night didnt make for a nice drive home. There is alot of effort to dive out of Oxnard when you live almost 3 hours south of there. Considering the result i would do it again though.

Andy

Great report. Seems like a lot of work for just one dive, though...

Which boat was it?

And also, were you diving solo?

Arnaud

yeah it was alot of work for one dive, but i was invited and and was a non paying guest. it was a very last minute trip, i didnt get the invite until Wed in the morn, i didnt really have time to think about all the planning and driving. I didnt even know where we were diving i just knew it was out of Oxnard.

The boats name is Sojurner, it was a private boat with a crew of only two, however they catered out the food so the chef was 3 and the Doc was 4.

i was diving solo and it was ok with the Capt as i cleared it with him first. i solo dive and take full responsibility for myself. other than a total gas failure on both my doubles and my deco bottle ( i was in less than 70' so my 50% deco bottle could have been used as a bailout ) the odds of having a problem were slim but not zero. This was a shallow dive, less than 70', and completely inside my comfort zone. Not to mention one of the crew men was a Doc and doing research for DAN. We wore computers supplied by the Doc on the dive, he collected all computers and downloaded all the data from everyones dives as part of his research project.

Andy

had i really had time to think about going ( knowing the forcast and the driving distance) i doute i would have gone.

Well, it was your many references to the quality and abundance of the food that picked my curiosity about the boat :)

Question about the computer: were they testing a new model?

Not a new model.

The info was about the individuals health before and after the dive. If you felt cold, were taking meds, exerted yourself ect ect...
He downloaded all the computers dive log data to his laptop, thats all i know, not sure what its for exactly.

They have been gathering data for DAN for the last year or two i think. The computers they were loaning us to use were Aladin 02 or something like that. They were air integrated but i was using my own gear and not the gear from the boat.

i think the research was mainly for multiday dive trips but they wanted to collect our data anyway. The Doc mentioned this but seamed interested in as much data as he could get. I dont really know, like i mentioned i was a guest, they were taking 5 other divers out and one of them invited me to take up some space i guess. It was a waste to take out the boat for 6 people IMHO.

One comical moment ( to me at least) was on the trip back the chef left the coffee bean grinder out. We hit a wave and it was like a coffee grounds grenade went off in the galley, it was an absolute mess.

As far as the food references yeah the food was good. Nothing really over the top, but just plain all top quality hot food. Then again it may have tasted like crap, after all everything tastes way better after a dive :)

Also, once back at the dock the Capt said had it just been himself and the firstmate along with my friend ( the one i got the invite from) they wouldnt have gone out. he said they only went because they had guests, i thought that was pretty nice of them to take us out considering.

Back
Top Bottom