Santa Cruz Dive Boat Fire Incident Condolences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has to be a message here someplace in this horror - it's really sad- I dove on this boat many times in the early 80's, looking at those bunks is heart breaking.

Does anyone know if a gofundme or similar has been established for the families? I was thinking of starting one but I’m just some random Southern California diver with no real ties to the families/operator/organizer so it feels a bit odd. I don’t want to overstep random internet sympathizer line and become creepy.

Dive Boat Conception Missing Divers Relief Fund

@cerich started this fund for scubaboard members.

“All of us have in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea – whether it is to sail or to watch it – we are going back from whence we came.”

John F. Kennedy

Condolences to all involved in this tragic event

I know all our hearts go out to the victims of this terrible tragedy on the Conception this weekend. I don’t think our community has experienced this level of fatalities on a US based liveaboard operation since the Wave Dancer. I only hope that a reasonable explanation for the cause of the fire and its rapid spread is forthcoming so that some kind of acceptance and closure can be found by the diver’s next of kin and other loved ones. Let’s all not jump to conclusions based on early news reports and rumors.

I have nothing meaningful to add except my heartfelt condolences to the families, crew and rescuers, and my deepest sympathies to the whole US dive community. It's tragic enough hearing about this from another continent, let alone when it's on your own doorstep. Take care American cousins.

I've been in Scotland in an area with no wifi/bad phone signal and am just learning about this tragedy. Utterly horrifying and heartbreaking. I'll be donating to the GoFundMe. I know "thoughts and prayers" is a controversial phrase these days but these families certainly have mine.

Back
Top Bottom