Sangalaki vs Manado

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pakman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I think I'm going to pass on Sipidan this summer due to the limited amount of dives you can do on Sipidan per day. I'm considering Sangalaki or Manado intead. Had been to Manado many moons ago but that was early in my diving life (newly certified and didn't do too many dives there).

For those who have been to both, which would you recommend? Recently purchased a DSLR setup so will be looking for some nice wide angle and macro stuff (not super macro lembah straits stuff...). Preference would be on pelagics...:eyebrow:

I have been to both.
If you are looking for pelagics, Manta rays will be waiting for you in Sangalaki. Now the issue with Sangalaki is the accomodation. There are several threads related to the issue.... But you may want to go there from Derawan or Nabucco. In Nabucco, they have several spots where you have a good chance to see big fishes.

Manado means that you will dive either in Bunaken, or Lembeh. But Bunaken is closer. Of course, the macro life is predominant, but I have seen turtles, sharks, and huge barracudas, not to mention Napoleon during my last trip (that was 2 weeks ago). But you better be quick to aim and shoot!

Last comments: Diving in Sangalaki/Derawan/Nabucco area is overall more expensive than in Manado. And travel time is longer also. And no hyperbaric chamber is available in the close neighborhood.

Poor you who have to make such choices after a trip to Sipadan.:wink:

thank Nut for the feedback. As for Sangalaki I was thinking of the Derawan resort.

What month are you going on your trip?
I'm planning a trip to Sangalaki in Nov (Derawan), but I checked with their agent, and no one is going the same time as me. That means I have to fork over $400 US for the boat from Berau to Derawan. Sangalaki is definitely not cheap.

While we are on the subject of Sangalaki, I strongly recommend doing a search on Sangalaki on this forum. You will find several negative reports on Sangalaki Dive Lodge, including one from me.

I just wish I can find others who are going to Derawan around Nov 20 or so, so I can share the boat fare with them.

diver69, I'm looking at end of Aug/ early Sept. Yes I've done some research the resort on Sangalaki is off my list. I was planning on derawan as well.

Hope you find more people for your trip.

pakman,

Do post your trip report please.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that someone will come along and share my boat with me.

Have fun and safe diving.

I also wait for your guys trip report 2 cos I'm plan to Derawan on April in next year. :)

Sorry folks, looks like I'm going to skip Sangalaki this summer. Just too much travel time to get there for me... HK to Singapore, stay over Singapore overnight, then two more hops to Bearu via Balikpapan, and THEN a boat ride... Guess I'll save it for another time, maybe next year... Anyways, thanks for the info...

1 week (6 days diving) in Maratua/Sangalaki and my pelagic count was:

Mantas - Zero
Sharks - One (about 2 foot long)
Baracuda shoals - One
Eagle Rays - Two
Other - Nil

Not exactly pelagics guaranteed the week I was there - I will be heading back soon to give it a second chance (last chance!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom