Sangalaki, Kakaban, Samama, Maratua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

is there a reason why you don't just dive from bali? excellent accommodations at low prices, great food, awesome low-price diving at or close to shore, lots of sharks, more than enough manta action at manta point. turtles, nudis galore, mola mola. Frogfish, leaf scorpionfish, cuttlefish, sea snakes. Stay in amed, tulamben, lovina, and padang bai. I did 33 dives there last oct/nov.

here are my photos:
http://www.scubapost.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1159

Scott

One good thing about diving out of Derawan is that you really can DIVE DIVE DIVE and DIVE some more until your hearts content.

This is because the jetty - house reef dive is really very good for macro life. It also has 3 resident big turtles, schools of jack fish, milk fish, snappers....

The jetty dive is never boring, and I have been on trips there where I did not bother to get out of Derawan Jetty. No boat required, but a long jetty walk is needed. Luckily the restaurant is near the jetty and has showers.

The other resorts require a boat trip out, typically limited to 3 dives a day. 4 dives you may have to pay extra, depends on what you negotiated in your package.

Interestingly in all my trips there, Nabucco has always been the cheapest for my family. Sangalaki the most expensive.

But Sangalaki is the only place with guaranteed mantas and turtles that come ashore at night with hatchlings scampering into the sea during the evenings.

So if you stay at the other resorts, you still should be able to see the mantas. But you would miss the turtles coming ashore and hatchlings.

Bali is great, and much cheaper for family.

Great value for money with many sites and things to see and do even of you do not dive.

To save on time, stay at the site you intend to dive instead of those long car rides or boat rides. Get more diving done, and more sleep.

Thank you for all those valuable feedback. Especially to Pinay Diver.

I have decided to go along with a local (TW) dive operator who is organising this trip. I also got together some close diving buddies to go along. The dive operator has assured me that we will be staying at Nabucco resort with air conditioning.

Can't wait. Really looking forward to Sangalaki in July.

Hi June,

Have fun! I'm sure you'll enjoy the trip... and don't forget the trip report :wink: Would be great to find out more abt Nabucco. Thanks!

I just got back from three weeks of diving in Indonesia which included East Kalimantan. I really wanted to stay at Sangalaki but got very frustrated by their lack of response. They ignored many of my questions (like updated flight schedule so I could plan my trip) and the only thing they were clear about was where to send my money! I had serious misgivings about wiring funds to this outfit because I thought if they couldn't respond to a customer's e-mails they might well leave me stranded at the airport.

I therefore sent Derawan Dive Lodge the same info. request and got back a very helpful e-mail which answered all my questions within a few hours. I therefore booked with them and was glad I did as it turns out that the resort was in shut down mode and me and my dive buddy would have been the only two guests on Sangalaki for a 3 out of the 5 days we planned to spend on this island, and they were busy noisily renovating some of the thatched bungalows. I spoke to the Sangalaki Guest Relations Manager and told him about my negative experience and he told me lots of guests complain about this and they are still trying to fix this.

Derawan, by contrast, is super efficient and reliable. They have comfortable accomodation (tho. not as pictuersque) than Sangalaki with hot water and air con. It's not luxurious but it's just what you need and clean. The chef is amazing and will cook you what you want. The lunch boxes for the dive trips are the best I have ever had in all the 60 countris of the world I have dived in. The dive center has lots of room to rinse and hang gear and a camera room with multi plugs and voltage. Michael, the young divemaster, has excellent eyesight and is a thouroughly good dive guide. He makes it a personal mission to find the critters you came so far to see and is very friendly. The one downside is they don't tell guests not to molest the mantas and turtles. Green turtles come onto Derawan Island every night to lay eggs--ask the security guard to wake you up to see this incedible sight. Even if its 4 AM, it is worth it. Derawan has some good muck diving--you can see really neat stuff like pygmy sea horse, cuttlefish, turtles, nudibranchs, leafy scorpionfish, stonefish, scorpionfish and mandarin fish right off their jetty. We visited the fabled Wakatobi Resort in Sulawesi after Derawan and preferred the diving in Derawan because it was more varied.

They do day trips to Sangalaki which is a lovely island and you will get to snorkel and dive with the Mantas just off Sangalaki island, but it is a 2 hour trip from Derawan so you will have to pay a surcharge.

Same deal with Kakaban and the jelly fish lake (4 different species). Note that there is a wooden platform erected by Derawan to the lake which is rotting in places so care should be taken in walking here (Derawan has been unable to persuade the folks at Sangalaki and Nabucco to share in the costs of fixing this--according to other divers we met, the latter resorts discourage their guests from going to other islands).

Maratua is also a 2 hour boat ride from Derawan and they only go there if the currents are right for you to dive comfortably and see the big fish action. So if it's important for you to go there, ask them about the tides before booking as we didn't get to go during the week we were at Derawan.

Derawan sees a lot of Italian guests; Nabucco German guests; Sangalaki has Asian dive groups and the odd European diver. You might be able to get a better rate by booking through an Asian dive travel operation.

Oh yeah: you can easily fly into Balikpapan and get a visa on arrival. Don't believe the agents who tell you you will need to pay to fly a customs and immigration guy to check you into the country--get another travel agent. Derawan can purchase ongoing tickets from Balikpapan if you have trouble buying them in your country. (note: you must buy the Balikpapan-Berau flights locally as these aren't sold elsewhere).

One regret I had was that I did not have an extra day in Balikpapan to go and visit the Dayaks, so plan accordingly if you are interested in some topside activity.

If you dive sangalaki - nabucco - derawan... and the weather really turns BAD, they typically will not go out to sea. Hence NO diving.

Then the best bet is to dive the house reef at derawan. So pick the resort not just in terms of what you want to see, but also when you plan to be there. If you are going there during the wet monsoon, it maybe wiser to stay at derawan.

I'm really not surprised to hear your negative experience in trying to get in touch with SDL.

You can read my negative experience here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=123192&highlight=sangalaki

Keep in mind too, that's the experience I received after being referred to SDL by a local dive shop (very reputable) in Sabah, Malaysia. I can just imagine if you call out of the blue and try to get any info out of SDL.

And June, I'm glad to hear you are going to stay at Nabucco. I have yet to make it to Sangalaki (by that I mean the region - Sangalaki, Nabucco and Derawan). Have fun, and be sure to report on your trip.

Diver69

poleinahole:
I just got back from three weeks of diving in Indonesia which included East Kalimantan. I really wanted to stay at Sangalaki but got very frustrated by their lack of response. They ignored many of my questions (like updated flight schedule so I could plan my trip) and the only thing they were clear about was where to send my money! I had serious misgivings about wiring funds to this outfit because I thought if they couldn't respond to a customer's e-mails they might well leave me stranded at the airport.

I therefore sent Derawan Dive Lodge the same info. request and got back a very helpful e-mail which answered all my questions within a few hours. I therefore booked with them and was glad I did as it turns out that the resort was in shut down mode and me and my dive buddy would have been the only two guests on Sangalaki for a 3 out of the 5 days we planned to spend on this island, and they were busy noisily renovating some of the thatched bungalows. I spoke to the Sangalaki Guest Relations Manager and told him about my negative experience and he told me lots of guests complain about this and they are still trying to fix this.

Derawan, by contrast, is super efficient and reliable. They have comfortable accomodation (tho. not as pictuersque) than Sangalaki with hot water and air con. It's not luxurious but it's just what you need and clean. The chef is amazing and will cook you what you want. The lunch boxes for the dive trips are the best I have ever had in all the 60 countris of the world I have dived in. The dive center has lots of room to rinse and hang gear and a camera room with multi plugs and voltage. Michael, the young divemaster, has excellent eyesight and is a thouroughly good dive guide. He makes it a personal mission to find the critters you came so far to see and is very friendly. The one downside is they don't tell guests not to molest the mantas and turtles. Green turtles come onto Derawan Island every night to lay eggs--ask the security guard to wake you up to see this incedible sight. Even if its 4 AM, it is worth it. Derawan has some good muck diving--you can see really neat stuff like pygmy sea horse, cuttlefish, turtles, nudibranchs, leafy scorpionfish, stonefish, scorpionfish and mandarin fish right off their jetty. We visited the fabled Wakatobi Resort in Sulawesi after Derawan and preferred the diving in Derawan because it was more varied.

They do day trips to Sangalaki which is a lovely island and you will get to snorkel and dive with the Mantas just off Sangalaki island, but it is a 2 hour trip from Derawan so you will have to pay a surcharge.

Same deal with Kakaban and the jelly fish lake (4 different species). Note that there is a wooden platform erected by Derawan to the lake which is rotting in places so care should be taken in walking here (Derawan has been unable to persuade the folks at Sangalaki and Nabucco to share in the costs of fixing this--according to other divers we met, the latter resorts discourage their guests from going to other islands).

Maratua is also a 2 hour boat ride from Derawan and they only go there if the currents are right for you to dive comfortably and see the big fish action. So if it's important for you to go there, ask them about the tides before booking as we didn't get to go during the week we were at Derawan.

Derawan sees a lot of Italian guests; Nabucco German guests; Sangalaki has Asian dive groups and the odd European diver. You might be able to get a better rate by booking through an Asian dive travel operation.

Oh yeah: you can easily fly into Balikpapan and get a visa on arrival. Don't believe the agents who tell you you will need to pay to fly a customs and immigration guy to check you into the country--get another travel agent. Derawan can purchase ongoing tickets from Balikpapan if you have trouble buying them in your country. (note: you must buy the Balikpapan-Berau flights locally as these aren't sold elsewhere).

One regret I had was that I did not have an extra day in Balikpapan to go and visit the Dayaks, so plan accordingly if you are interested in some topside activity.

Hi June,

Iam intersted to give you some info in regards to the dive around Derawan Islands, As I have been there since 1991 when Derwan Dive Resort was started I was the dive guide there and in 1997 - 2001 was working with Borneo Diver at Sangalaki and since Ron Holland Take the place in 2002 I was joining there aga work together with Steve fish.

Sangalaki is close down at the moment for renovation, I would say the Diving there is absolutely fantastic mantas........!!!!!, turtle at night on the beach too....

I will iform you when they are ready yah????

As an alternative you could stay with Losmen Danakan where you can stay cheap, but still could dive at the same quality as the resort has the only different is the Boat, resort use Speed boat we are using Local Boat, we can reach other island from Derawan too, like Sangalaki, kakaban, maratua by dy trip.

If you still interested I can help to organised your trip from Balikpapan onward to Derawan do not worry.

my contact kadek112003@yahoo.com

Wait for your info on this.

Regards,

Kadek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom