Sangalaki, Kakaban, Samama, Maratua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

June

Registered
Reaction score
I am deciding whether I should go to Sangalaki this July. And I have to decide by end of this week.

My main concern is the long journey and accommodation. I hate mosquito as I always get bitten (first and most among the group). So, I need room with air conditioning.

But I really want to see Manta and Hammerhead.

Anyone who has been there, your feedback and recommendation is urgently needed, please advise.

Hi June,

Welcome to the Board!

I've come across several threads complaining about Sangalaki Dive Lodge and the way they run their dive operations. You will be able to find this using the serach function.

IMO, Sangalaki's not the only place to encounter pelagic action. Derawan's another destination you may wish to consider. I had planned to dive there last year but this was scrapped unfortunately. I do recall Derawan offering day-trips to nearby islands e.g. the jellyfish lakes of Kakaban. If you're interested to find out more, you can visit their website here. Layang Layang is also another alternative. I was there last June and had a great time... of course, catching schooling hammerheads every morning dive helped! :wink: http://www.layanglayang.com

To get to Derawan, you will need to first get to Balikpapan, Indonesia. Thereafter, it's a domestic flight followed by a boat ride. Layang Layang might be more accessible as the resort provides their own chartered flight out of Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia (which has probably better connectivity than Balikpapan) direct to the island.

Hope this helps.

AC Boy, Thank for your reply.

My first plan was to go to Layang2 in July because it is more convenient and much cheaper. But was informed that Layang2 is best visited in March/April if I want to see hammerhead. I was also informed that most Hammerhead are in depth below 35m.

I changed my plan to Sangalaki for two reasons :1) a local dive operator is leading this trip (save me lot of time organising and dealing with the immigration and custom in indonesia) and 2) guarantee mantas.

Despite the advantage of having someone organised the trip, I will not be able to choose where I want to stay and dive.

I am at a lost.

Layang layang is a bit of an issue when there is room in the resort, and no seat on the plane from Kotakinabalu. I am talking from experience.
If you want air conditioning, there is some in Sangalaki Diving Lodge bungalows. However, the price/quality ratio for the service is disputable. But Mantas are there... and turtles also, on the beach, and you can see the new born turtles crawling to the sea. Unforgettable experiences. But basic accomodation and food for 5 * prices.
You can dive in Sangalaki from Derawan and Mara Tua, on day trips. 2 dives in the day. You should see mantas, unless you really are unlucky... Then have a second day trip? It depends on the resort also...
AC in Maratua, is available in 2 bungalows only.
I have not been to Derawan... but feedback is generally good. Singaporians go there a lot. There must be air conditioning. Just kidding....
Anyway, say hello to the mantas for me.

Hi June

I'm not sure if you've decided but can I offer u another alternative? This might have already crossed your mind - If the 2 points cited below are of primary concern, then you might want to consider Bali as your destination. Nusa Penida's Manta Point has so far been quite under-rated. Manta sighting there is almost guaranteed. But of course, you don't see them in squadron counts of 20-30. My 2 dives in Manta Point boast encounters of 4-5 Mantas for each dive. You can get rather close to them to. About 3-4 m away. And of course, other perks of Bali are obvious. I won't worry about the security too as many places have beefed up their security after lightning striking twice.

F/E

June:
AC Boy, Thank for your reply.

My first plan was to go to Layang2 in July because it is more convenient and much cheaper. But was informed that Layang2 is best visited in March/April if I want to see hammerhead. I was also informed that most Hammerhead are in depth below 35m.

I changed my plan to Sangalaki for two reasons :1) a local dive operator is leading this trip (save me lot of time organising and dealing with the immigration and custom in indonesia) and 2) guarantee mantas.

Despite the advantage of having someone organised the trip, I will not be able to choose where I want to stay and dive.

I am at a lost.

Hi June,

I just came back from a 9-day dive trip at Sangalaki. One word describes our trip...Amazing!..Mantas ARE guaranteed. Mantas feed on shallow waters and will not shy away even with divers around. ( better use a snorkel when mantas are feeding). We stayed at Sangalaki Dive Lodge. Our divemaster was very patient with us ( we're kinda demanding group of divers :( ). Kakaban and MAratua islands are both different areas and a must see for big fish and strong and "wild" currents.

Sangalaki Dive Lodge is the only resort on Sangalaki Island. The rooms are air-conditioned and has hot water (a great plus!) All cottages are facing the beach so you get a good view every morning you wake up. If you're lucky ( or unlucky..coz of the noise ) a turtle might end up under your cottage to lay her eggs.

I hope this helps...happy diving!

Just to add, June.

Sangalaki is 5 minutes away from the following sites: Manta Parade, Manta Run and Manta Avenue. You'll get your fill of mantas in your first day. :)

There has been a great deal of negative comments on Sangalaki Dive Lodge's management. Has this been improved? I would love to make a trip there but not at the risk of jeopardizing my whole dive schedule.

Maratua - Nabucco has the best lodging and food.
Derawan - Has the second best lodging and food, also has cheaper losmen (Danakan).
Sangalaki - Worse lodging and food.

Sangalaki best overall dive sites
Samama great macro and close to Sangalaki, not sure if they still will take you there.

Maratua has great big fish action. The lagoon has macro, but the dive masters are not very familiar with the lagoon.

One plan is to dive and stay at all the sites.

Start from the furthest away Maratua, then work your way inwards. The last stop perhaps should be derawan. You will get the best of ALL.

If on a shoe string budget, stay at Derawan Danakan. Dive out of there. Pak Kadek can arrange for boats and he tanks and compressor on site.

Hi Madfish,

Initially we wanted to stay at Nabucco but rates were really high. We contacted SDL ( Sangalaki Dive LOdge) and also expressed concern about their negative feedback. SDL assured us that SDL is a place for hardcore divers. Meaning I guess divers would have to settle for not so good food. However, the cottages are nice, just like what I have written earlier the bath has hot and cold water and every room has airconditioning. If you're picky in your food, I suggest you buy can goods and instant noodles in Balikpapan or in Berau.

Back
Top Bottom