Sandy Channel in NE - Mini report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubagal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Last Sunday my hubby and I did 2 dives at Sandy Channel Recreation Area in south central Nebraska, off I-80 at the Elm Creek exit. First time we'd dove this site. Sandy Channel is comprised of quite a few lakes/ponds. The one to dive is the lake to the left as you enter, closest to the highway. Glad we figured this out!

Visibility varied in the lake, up to 15-20' in some parts, less than 5' in other parts. Water temps were warm, my computer showed 82 degrees near the surface, dipping down to 76 near the bottom. Maximum depth we could find was 19'.

A local dive shop has placed quite a few objects in the lake. We didn't find everything, however we did come across 2 boats, a cement gargoyle, a cement toad, a small lighthouse, a statue of Mary, a satellite dish, and a TV. Bluegill and bass were our companions during our dives.

Lots of parking available near the entry point. Bring everything you'll need with you, as there are virtually no facilities, with the exception of one primitive bathroom close to the dive site. We packed our lawn chairs, filled a cooler and had lunch during our surface interval. All in all, an enjoyable day. It's no Cozumel, but hey, it's diving. No underwater pictures to share, however here's a topside shot.

SandyChannel.jpg

Thanks for the report. We dove out there last year. Being newbies it really was nice knowing you are only a few feet from the surface. It also rained the morning we went so vis was lousy. Was wondering if it was very busy (divers) out there when you went. I see the local shop has "dive weekends" out there and since the place is kind of small and we are still inexperienced I don't want to go when I could muck up the water even worse for others. but the lack of dive sites around Omaha makes the Sandy Channel trip almost a necessity. Going to try Okoboji in a month. Have heard good and bad about diving there. But since our dive vacation got scuttled this year I really feel the need to get wet no matter what.

Nebdiver:
Thanks for the report. We dove out there last year. Being newbies it really was nice knowing you are only a few feet from the surface. It also rained the morning we went so vis was lousy. Was wondering if it was very busy (divers) out there when you went. I see the local shop has "dive weekends" out there and since the place is kind of small and we are still inexperienced I don't want to go when I could muck up the water even worse for others. but the lack of dive sites around Omaha makes the Sandy Channel trip almost a necessity. Going to try Okoboji in a month. Have heard good and bad about diving there. But since our dive vacation got scuttled this year I really feel the need to get wet no matter what.

We really lucked out, last Sunday it was only my husband and I and one other diver. And she didn't show up until we were done with our first dive. This weekend I've noticed that several dive shops are scheduled to have classes there. I would monitor the dive shop calendars and try to go on a weekend when they have scheduled pool work or a trip out of town. I'd like to dive Sandy Channel again sometime.

Last September I did my Rescue Diver certification at West Lake Okoboji. Visibility was about the same as we had at Sandy Channel. Temps were cooler at depth, but it's a much bigger lake, obviously. We were there in late September. During the summer you will have a lot of boat traffic to contend with. Make sure you have a dive flag and float with you at all times while diving, and be aware of boat traffic when surfacing. Another option would be to check with Blue Water Divers at West Lake Okoboji to see if they have any boat dives scheduled when you'll be there.

I know how you feel, we'd been dry for almost 6 months until last weekend!

September 10,11 will be the 16th annual benefit (treasure dive)at Sandy Channel. All profits will be donated to Divers Alert Network (DAN).

Last year (2005) on memorial day I dove at sandy channel for the first time. Vis. was great about 20-25. I could see from the front to the end of the boat that is sunk there. I had a 3 mm full suit, it was chilly but I did a 30 min. dive (my friends were waiting on the shore for me to get out). Saw the boat, statues of the lighthouse, gargoyle,turtle and many other things. Several fish were around.

Went back at the end of june 2005 lot warmer vis had gone down to about 10-15 but still nice. Saw both boats this time. 3 dives that day. Max. depth 20 ft.

Went back again may 14 2006 water temp at 58 through out. Had 6mm suit 5mm Hood 3mm gloves. Didn't even get chilly till 35 min. into the dive. Vis down to about 10-15 but it was extremely cloudy and had been rainly the day before. Again saw the boat light house and gargoyle.

Nice thing about this place is that there are hight spots in the middle of the lake so as you go along and get cold the contour will get shallow and you get a chance to warm up alittle. Nice kelp like forests on the north west side of the lake.

Stay away from the furthest east part of the lake( has a horseshoe shape to it.)
as it has really bad vis.

Thanks for the update, Manda! We're thinking about going to Sandy Channel this Saturday.

Back
Top Bottom