Sandals Resorts in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been to several Sandals and have loved the resorts. The diving on the other hand can be an issue. Usually you can't dive your computer and are stuck with a bunch of beginners, even though they are supposed to separate the beginners from more advanced. It wouldn't be unusual for an advanced diver to come back with well over 1000psi left in their tank, and I often had close to half a tank. Dives were limited to 30 minutes at times, and that was at various resorts. St. Lucia was great many years ago, but this past year they were limiting our times quite a bit. Sandals Royal Bahamian was one of the worst for cutting off times.. 30 minutes in 20-30 feet of water sometimes, or even less time. They were always trying to upsell you on dives and were more worried about getting back to do a paid special dive than let you really enjoy the one you were on. A good one is Barbados though, the reefs were great, and they did seem to give a bit more time. Plus they were the only one that would let you do three dives a day if you wanted. Pauli, I'd be interested to know about the Sandals Elite Diver program, as I've been there 7 times and never heard of it.

I have been to several Sandals and have loved the resorts. The diving on the other hand can be an issue. Usually you can't dive your computer and are stuck with a bunch of beginners, even though they are supposed to separate the beginners from more advanced. It wouldn't be unusual for an advanced diver to come back with well over 1000psi left in their tank, and I often had close to half a tank. Dives were limited to 30 minutes at times, and that was at various resorts. St. Lucia was great many years ago, but this past year they were limiting our times quite a bit. Sandals Royal Bahamian was one of the worst for cutting off times.. 30 minutes in 20-30 feet of water sometimes, or even less time. They were always trying to upsell you on dives and were more worried about getting back to do a paid special dive than let you really enjoy the one you were on. A good one is Barbados though, the reefs were great, and they did seem to give a bit more time. Plus they were the only one that would let you do three dives a day if you wanted. Pauli, I'd be interested to know about the Sandals Elite Diver program, as I've been there 7 times and never heard of it.
The Sandals Elite Diver Program was introduced a few years ago and I'd be happy to discuss it with you. Feel free to send me a PM or an email at paul@cassidymsw.com.

I describe my 2 Sandals experiences as fantastic vacations with great diving included. I have experienced 2 Sandals Resorts and have a some what different view than those stated above. At Ochi in Jamaica, I went on the one tank beginners dive at the Sandals Reef and found the reef to be "over/fished and over/dived" but found the intermediate 2 tank dives very enjoyable. On my second trip I learned of the Sandals Elite Diver Program and found it to be a game changer. We went to The Grand St. Lucian and I signed up for the Elite Diver and the benefits made the experience wonderful. If your interested in the benefits and what you need to qualify, feel free to PM me. I again chose to dive the beginners dive just to see what the close in reef was like and again found it to be less than desirable and used it as an opportunity to practice skills and help my girlfriend work on her trim. The two tank dives were amazing and I shot my first underwater video (links are below). Both resorts were fabulous, with great food and top shelf spirits. They mean it when they say to lock up your wallet and forget about it! The service was awesome and we had a great vacation! All inclusive means just that, included was transfers, food, adult beverages, diving, SUP, Hobie Cats, and in St. Lucia-water-skiing! Even tipping is not allowed. The price was exactly what was quoted to us with no surprises. The dive shop staff were friendly, knowledgeable, helpful, and made a point to be welcoming. As an Elite Diver, I was able to preregister on the dives I wanted to go on with a guaranteed seat in the number one spot on the boat. Check in was expedited and we got to choose a private dive or a private boat ride. We chose the private boat ride and we had a champagne tour of Rodney Bay with just the Captain and First Mate and bottle of champagne. The advanced diving in St. Lucia was awesome and I highly recommend Superman's Flight as a "must do" dive. All that being said, If you want a great vacation at a beautiful resort that include great diving, give Sandals a shot and enjoy! If you are looking for a hardcore dive trip, I would choose somewhere else. All in all, we had a fantastic time and are joining a group returning to the Grande St.Lucia in October 2017. Hope this helps!

I have to chime in and concur with the Superman's Flight. Was there in 2015. Man what a drift dive that was! A FAST drift along a wall that plummeted down to 3000ft! I have some video somewhere..

...and I too was with Sandals. It was my first Sandals dive experience, and I honestly enjoyed myself. I was there on my honeymoon, and my wife is a non-diver. I found this to work perfectly. The boats and crew were first class. I agree there was a lot of "resort divers" there though, so even with only a few dozen dives at the time I felt like the "expert" for better or worse.

I wouldn't choose Sandals for a dive vacation, but I would certainly enjoy diving while on vacation.

Happy Bubbles

oh also, can someone post or PM me info on the Elite program? Wifey wants to go to Jamaica later this year, so I might as well see what it entails. Any advice on which Sandals in Jamaica?

I would recommend Sandal's Negril , the diving is much nicer on that side
of the island .
Sea Dwellers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom