Sandals resort next June. Going to dive some. Antigua or Grenada?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are they still advertising "unlimited diving" given situations like this? I was told the limit was two dives a day at the Ocho Rios (Jamaica) Sandals as well. What nonsense.
Come on drbill, read between the marketing lines...

"unlimited" diving means you are not limited to the number of their dives you can go on. they do not limit you, therefore it is unlimited. Down side is that there is at most 2 dives a day, each limited to 30 minutes or less. Some days there is one 1 dive. Some days none....

---------- Post added August 29th, 2014 at 04:28 PM ----------

We were recently at a corporate convention at an Iberostar in Jamaica and were very happy that we left our gear behind. They run the same kind of operation. Dives were less than 30 minutes, but took over 2 hours duration each...

To comment on a few of the comments and answer your question. Sandals is a poor choice for divers. I used to run a dive shop in Antigua, moved up to Canada, and am now moving back to Antigua. Diving in Antigua can suk, or be really really good. Depends on who you dive with. Sandals? Diving will be poor. The resort is simply on the wrong side of the island. The best diving is the South West. Anyone who says diving on Antigua suks....Have you done, Sunken Rock? Red Rocks? Rendevoux Bay? If not, you went with the wrong operator. If anyone wants to come to Antigua and get the best of the island, contact me. I spent 6 years here, and of the 32 islands in the Caribbean that I have been to, its in my top 5.

Anyone who says diving on Antigua suks....Have you done, Sunken Rock? Red Rocks? Rendevoux Bay?

Yup. Yup. Yup.

I love Antigua (been there many, many times) but just not for diving. Went to Rendezvous Bay back in April. One of our favorite beaches in the world. Sadly, a large resort and a dozen homes are going in there. They were just starting to improve the road when we were there. Our assumption is that will have been our last visit where we were the only people on that beach from 9am until 4pm.

670-headerimage1.jpg

That said, we are looking into one of the homes there for vacation and ultimately retirement. Our current place is on the beach in Jolly Harbour, but we're looking for something different on Antigua. Or maybe BVIs... not really sure which yet.

Which op are you associated with? Will have to look you up next time we're down there.

Regards,

Ray Purkis

Last edited:
Well we going to Antigua from June 6th till the 13th. This is our ten year anniversary trip so diving won't be the primary focus. but we do plan to do some diving. Hopefully the viz is decent and we have a good time. Granted if I was going on a "diving" trip I would not be using sandals. but since it has a whole different reason for the trip I might as well stay there and enjoy the "unlimited" diving as much as I can. Hopefully we will have a great time either way.

Having worked as a dive instructor for Sandals I would not recommend diving with them at all. They do not go to the best sites, dives are short and unlimited diving consists of two very short dives per day. But if diving with them, go to Grenada. Although I have a dive operation on Antigua, and the diving is good if going with the correct operator, Sandals is located on the wrong side of the island. Antigua's good diving is on the South West Quadrant, between English Harbour and Carlisle Bay. The rest of the island is either too rough, or too shallow. But off the South West we have very well preserved reefs. Those who do not appreciate Antigua's diving have not been out with me, I have had nothing but great reviews. :)

Having worked as a dive instructor for Sandals I would not recommend diving with them at all. They do not go to the best sites, dives are short and unlimited diving consists of two very short dives per day. But if diving with them, go to Grenada. Although I have a dive operation on Antigua, and the diving is good if going with the correct operator, Sandals is located on the wrong side of the island. Antigua's good diving is on the South West Quadrant, between English Harbour and Carlisle Bay. The rest of the island is either too rough, or too shallow. But off the South West we have very well preserved reefs. Those who do not appreciate Antigua's diving have not been out with me, I have had nothing but great reviews. :)

Bryan, When you say that the sandals side has issues is mostly due to shallow depth or is viz bad. My wife isn't much into deep diving anyways but should would prefer decent viz. This will be her first actual open water dive in the ocean so I hope it is a good experience for her.

Bryan, When you say that the sandals side has issues is mostly due to shallow depth or is viz bad. My wife isn't much into deep diving anyways but should would prefer decent viz. This will be her first actual open water dive in the ocean so I hope it is a good experience for her.

I'm a die-hard Antigua fan (it's tied for 1st on our retirement list) and a die-hard diver (the reason that Antigua is not ALONE atop our list for retirement.)

Even though you will be at an all-inclusive resort for your stay please do yourself a favor and do NOT stay "on-campus" the whole trip. English Harbour and area are worth a visit for anyone going to Antigua so head down there. And if you're going to do that... why not hook up with Bryan for a few dives as well!

Does Antigua have any issue with divers carrying Dive knifes?

Back
Top Bottom