Question sandals medical form

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
hi all
im heading to sandals jamaica later in the year and and have to fill in the medical form, i have to tick yes to the "are you over 45" box which escalates the form from self sign to doctor needed, last year before cancelling it i was booked to st lucia sandals and dropped the form of to my doctor who refused to sign it on the grounds she wasnt qualified in these things.
am i right that any doctor can sign these forms or do i have to pay for a diving doctor medical.
sorry for the long question.

Any doctor can sign them. We have have bailed on Sandals diving when staying at their resorts and booked with an outside dive op. More expensive but we find Sandals diving restrictive.

Realize that diving with Sandals is going to severely restrict what you can do and where you can go. Jamaica diving is not great anyway near the resorts. Times will be strictly limited, you won't be able to just grab a set of gear and go explore. Bonaire would be much better. Unless you are going on a vacation and want to just dive a couple times to get wet. Going with an outside op may cost a little more but you won't be on a cattle boat with a herd of people tearing up the reef.

sandals uses the RSTC standard form. being over 45 doesn't require a doctor's signature. being over 45 and answering yes to anything in box B requires a signature. save future headaches by having the form signed by your PCP every year when you get your annual physical.

dropped the form of to my doctor who refused to sign it on the grounds she wasnt qualified in these things.
When I needed my doctor to sign a medical release, I brought the medical release & physician guidance, provided by the agency, during my office visit, and had a discussion explaining why I'm seeking approval. My physician then took the paperwork, read the guidance, signed it, and mailed it to me over the course of two weeks. I was already certified and had been diving for about 8-years. I'm confident he read the guidance because we had a good conversation about the contraindications during my next visit. In my situation, I was over 45 and was being treated for back problems after a car accident. Now I request his approval on a medical release during my annual exam, and he mails it to me within a couple of days. My point is that it's best to have the conversation in person, and the guidance provided by the agency helped a lot in my case - just my two cents.

sandals uses the RSTC standard form. being over 45 doesn't require a doctor's signature. being over 45 and answering yes to anything in box B requires a signature. save future headaches by having the form signed by your PCP every year when you get your annual physical.
This ^ ..... Over 45 AND any "yes" in box B. If "no", you're good to go without a doc's signature. Have fun!

Would a doctor's clearance statement either in a letter or even written out on a prescription slip be sufficient?
no

This ^ ..... Over 45 AND any "yes" in box B. If "no", you're good to go without a doc's signature. Have fun!
The only boxes on the first page that if checked automatically require a doctor's signature are #3 (can't perform moderate exercise), #5 (surgery within the last 12 months, or on-going problems with surgery), and #10 (taking prescriptions meds other than birth control or anti-malarial).

The form is intended for use while a student is in training. It says:
"This form is principally designed as an initial medical screen for new divers, but is also appropriate for divers taking continuing education."​
It is both lazy and irritating that Sandals (and others) use it as a screening for plain old diving.

NOTE the newest version (2022-02-01) of this form never mentions Covid; the earlier version did.

...The form is intended for use while a student is in training....It is both lazy and irritating that Sandals (and others) use it as a screening for plain old diving.
100% 🎯

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom