Sand in the first stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cast

Registered
Reaction score
I just bought a new Apex ATX50. After the first dive from shore, I found the sand got into the first stage, when I turn the knob, I can feel the friction. I opened it up and washed it all over,still can feel the sand when turning the knob. Any tips to clean it up? Does it really matter?

Thanks!

cast:
I just bought a new Apex ATX50. After the first dive from shore, I found the sand got into the first stage, when I turn the knob, I can feel the friction. I opened it up and washed it all over,still can feel the sand when turning the knob. Any tips to clean it up? Does it really matter?

You mean in the 2nd stage. This can be a problem but probably isn't anything that requiers servicing. Take the reg to someone who knows something about Apeks to check it.

You are right, It is 2nd stage.

MonkSeal:
You mean in the 2nd stage. This can be a problem but probably isn't anything that requiers servicing. Take the reg to someone who knows something about Apeks to check it.

This is why you should never put your reg down in sand. If its really jammed in there good, it might need to be serviced by an authorized technician.

I have been the guy on the other end when this happens and people wait to have it looked at. First take LUBOLD's advice and keep it out of the sand. Second, get it to your LDS and have em clean out the second stage. Make sure he doesn't service it and charge you a bundle. Just clean out the crap.
I saw one once that the knob was completely seized. Not pretty.

Thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom