San Pedro... collapsed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VBlueV

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Saturday, we did a 2-tanker on the YO-257 and the San Pedro.

I hadn't dove that site for several months...
and, I don't remember the San Pedro being in ruins.
(In fact, I thought I remembered the deck being level,
and the hold area, where the sharks sleep being cavernous, with taller ceilings)
Has it been like that for a while?
When did it succumb?
Is it safe to swim-thru?

Is it safe to grab onto the sub and use it as a scooter to go see the airplane and fish-pyramids? (j/k)

Listing to port...
sanpedro-bow.jpg

Stern sloped way down...
sanpedro-stern2.jpg

Wheelhouse collapsed...
sanpedro-wheel1.jpg

sanpedro-wheel2.jpg

... had to throw in the white-tip within the hold too...
sanpedro-whitetip.jpg

Well it has been like for a while. I do pop my head in the hold to see if the sharks and/or turtles are in there and sometimes slip in....but I don't suggest that my guests do that...usually we just swim around and look in.

In reference to the sub... If you are refering to the tourist subs like "Atlantis Sub" I strongly do not recommend getting any where above the deck. They are positively buoyant vessels that have to thrust upward to stay submerged, (or so I have been told). You will get the E-ticket to the surface.

As far as riding it.... not the smartest idea I have heard this week, and it's already Tuesday morning.

LioKai:
In reference to the sub... If you are refering to the tourist subs like "Atlantis Sub" I strongly do not recommend getting any where above the deck. They are positively buoyant vessels that have to thrust upward to stay submerged, (or so I have been told). You will get the E-ticket to the surface.

As far as riding it.... not the smartest idea I have heard this week, and it's already Tuesday morning.

I'm fairly certain that was a tongue-in-cheek comment . . . .

Depending on who the sub pilot was, I used to moon the sub every now and then.

thanks for the reply leesa... maybe i'm just getting the wrecks mixed up. i was pro'lly thinking of the sea-tiger and its big swim-thru holds =/

and yeah, i was just joshin' about going for a joy-ride with the sub... or was i?

we had two of the subs doing laps around us that day... must'a done 10 passes between them over both wrecks! we were like... 'nuf already... we need to transit to the other wreck =( and then one of them did a really close fly-by of the san pedro going one way... and it no sooner passed the end of the wreck, when the other buzzed us going the other way! hmmm how long can i hold this shaka-pose =P

see the railings... it'd be soooo easy to hold on =)
sub3.JPG

it's funny how many flash-bulbs were going off from inside the sub... tourists, heh!
sub2.JPG

VBlueV:
we had two of the subs doing laps around us that day... must'a done 10 passes between them over both wrecks! we were like... 'nuf already...

While the subs going by during your dive is interesting the first couple of times, after a while I really begin to dislike it. That infernal humming/buzzing drives me nuts and if it goes on long enough, my teeth start to feel weird - kind of like the feeling when you chew on aluminum foil.

Tom Winters:
Depending on who the sub pilot was, I used to moon the sub every now and then.

Tom, I only dove with you one time about 12 years ago, I seem to recall you doing something unusual, perhaps that's what it was. HAHAHA (After checking an old and tattered log book, that was 12 years ago this week)

I didn't realize the comment 'riding the sub' was a joke. We get all kinds on the boats that I captain. People regularly ask (and try) the craziest things

We actually had a guy...we told him in the briefing to stay away from the sub....turned around and there he was hanging on the back of the sub....Just goes to show you, anything is possible

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom