San Pedro, Amergris Caye, Belize Trip - 10/27/12 thru 11/2/2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone know the current rate for flying from Belize City to San Pedro? My hotel has offered to make arrangements for the flight for a cost of $137 round trip...do the hotels take off the top for setting up this reservation? Can I get it cheaper by just buying the ticket when I arrive?

I know that Belize takes credit cards...but is it like other places where they charge more expensive prices to use a card? In other words, is it better/cheaper to have cash to pay for things?

Is there any kind of local beach access? I know good snorkeling with the beach is a bit too much to ask for, but if there is anywhere to take the wife to sit at the beach for awhile, that would be great.

Last edited:
I just looked at Maya Air's web site and chose some dates in the future. Belize city Municipal/San pedro is $80.50 and Belize internation/San Pedro is $134.50. Just go to Maya air or Tropic air and enter your trip dates to see what it would cost.

Tropic Air is $62.50 each way for a total of $125 but the fees run about $10 on top of that. $137 sounds a dollar or two high.

I always let my hotel book my flights on Tropic for me, and the price is included with my bill at the end of my stay. My hotel emails me a confirmation number, after they have booked it for me. When you show up at Tropic desk, they'll look you up and eventually give you a boarding pass. Don't worry that your flight says a certain time. You might not actually be leaving at that exact time, as many flights are booked for the same time and your boarding pass has a special number on it - that let's Tropic figure out just which flight you are on. I've tried to board a plane that was timed the same as my boarding pass, but get sent back to wait my turn. Darn! In any event, Tropic will get you there before they quit flying for the day, so don't worry about that. (Maya the same)

As I understand it, my hotel does get a commission for booking my flight, but I don't pay any more for it than if I'd booked it myself. Also, there's been a couple of times, that I was going to be late for my departure flight back to the mainland (on Tropic) and my hotel simply calls Tropic up and rearranges for me. So far so lucky, though my failure to get my act together one time, did leave me sitting on the tarmac watching my flight leave without me, by a minute . . .so don't be late. If I recall correctly, I had to pony up some more money in that instance. No one to blame but myself but a good time was had by all. :wink:

Tropic Air is $62.50 each way for a total of $125 but the fees run about $10 on top of that. $137 sounds a dollar or two high.

I always let my hotel book my flights on Tropic for me, and the price is included with my bill at the end of my stay. My hotel emails me a confirmation number, after they have booked it for me. When you show up at Tropic desk, they'll look you up and eventually give you a boarding pass. Don't worry that your flight says a certain time. You might not actually be leaving at that exact time, as many flights are booked for the same time and your boarding pass has a special number on it - that let's Tropic figure out just which flight you are on. I've tried to board a plane that was timed the same as my boarding pass, but get sent back to wait my turn. Darn! In any event, Tropic will get you there before they quit flying for the day, so don't worry about that. (Maya the same)

As I understand it, my hotel does get a commission for booking my flight, but I don't pay any more for it than if I'd booked it myself. Also, there's been a couple of times, that I was going to be late for my departure flight back to the mainland (on Tropic) and my hotel simply calls Tropic up and rearranges for me. So far so lucky, though my failure to get my act together one time, did leave me sitting on the tarmac watching my flight leave without me, by a minute . . .so don't be late. If I recall correctly, I had to pony up some more money in that instance. No one to blame but myself but a good time was had by all. :wink:

Great info...that's just what I needed to know. Thanks!

I doubt you'll find a single operator here where similar behaviour doesn't take place, given similar circumstances.

At Splash Dive Center we discourage handling of marine life and have been working at educating our dive masters and instructors to not handle marine life.
The fact that many people do handle marine life does not make it right. You can probably think of many human behaviours that used teo be commonplace but are no longer considered to be acceptable.
Regards
Ralph Capeling

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom