San Marcos River Clean Up Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spartacus20

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've read the other post concerning the clean up at the river, but I have a couple of questions and that post is getting pretty long so I thought they might get lost at the back.

1. I've read that you don't need a buddy that you can just sign up under the group and dive. The problem is I'm not a member of the group. If I come down there is it ok if I dive with the swamp divers? (Just a little background. I got certified about a year ago and am trying to dive much more this summer than I did last season. This sounds like a good opportunity to get some practice. Anybody agree? Disagree?)

2. I'm definitely a newbie (<15 OW dives) and can breathe a tank down with remarkable speed. Will I need more than one tank or can you just jump out when you're finished and call it a day?

3. I think the water down there is pretty chilly. Will a 3mm suit be enough or would anybody recommend something thicker? (Pretty much only been in the caribbean so I don't really have a frame of reference to draw from.)

Thanks for the responses in advance and hopefully these aren't too much of a repeat from what is on the other post.

B

1st Yes you can come dive with us, as long as youi are willing to become a member of the Texas Swamp Divers. all this means is that you have dove with the other swampers and for some odd reason don't mind being associated with us.

2nd newbie are fine is is rarely deep enough to do anything really stupid and its a nice controlled environment to get used to drifting. It is a totally different experience than having to actually swim.
You will only need a tank if you would liketo do more than one or maybe two dives. The dives are usually pretty short 20 minutes or so. so my Luxfer 100 lasts me almost three dives. especially since i didnt even break 20 feet last year. but i too suck air like a beast.

3rd some people find the water little chilly. a 3mm should be more than enough. its usually around 70 degrees year round and this time of year it is warmer outside and we usually are near the surface so i rarely use a suit at all when to water is over 70.

Ive heard all the talk about Hypothermia in 70 degree water, but that usually pertains to skinny people in it for HOURS and i mean like 24 hours. Especially with my body mass index i got about three days easy.

hope this all helps.

Spartacus20:
I've read the other post concerning the clean up at the river, but I have a couple of questions and that post is getting pretty long so I thought they might get lost at the back.

1. I've read that you don't need a buddy that you can just sign up under the group and dive. The problem is I'm not a member of the group. If I come down there is it ok if I dive with the swamp divers? (Just a little background. I got certified about a year ago and am trying to dive much more this summer than I did last season. This sounds like a good opportunity to get some practice. Anybody agree? Disagree?)

You will become a member as soon as you jump in the water and dive with any other member. So come on and dive with us.

2. I'm definitely a newbie (<15 OW dives) and can breathe a tank down with remarkable speed. Will I need more than one tank or can you just jump out when you're finished and call it a day?

The water is shallow maybe 10 ft max. Some folks like to dive the river after the cleanup so bring an extra tank if you think you will need it. You should be fine with one.

3. I think the water down there is pretty chilly. Will a 3mm suit be enough or would anybody recommend something thicker? (Pretty much only been in the caribbean so I don't really have a frame of reference to draw from.)

68-72 degrees year round. A 3mm should be fine I wear a 3mm and I am ok. It depends on if you are cold natured or not.

Thanks for the responses in advance and hopefully these aren't too much of a repeat from what is on the other post.

B

All new soon to be Swampers are welcome the bigger the group the better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom