San Luis Obispo Area Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MbWaterdog

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi there, I will be doing research this summer in SLO starting in 3 weeks. Is anyone familiar with any dive sites in this area? Even better, does anyone live in this area that would want to buddy up on the weekends? Also, if you could recommend a dive shop. I am from Monterey where I do most of my diving, but I have never dove as far south as San Luis before.

Funny, I've been wasting time on a dating web site, did a search for SCUBA divers, and traded messages with a lady from SLO asking exactly that. Here's what she said:

There are some local shore dive spots around here. The most popular (and easiest to get to) is Target Rock, right next to Morro Rock in Morro Bay. There's also Spooners Cove. Both spots have their limitations - Target has to be dove at slack tide and Spooners can have some major swells.

Hello 3D,
I have not dove in Slo but have spend a lot of time in morrow bay before certification. (the inlaws are from/live down there) I have a couple of numbers of local divers that I met at the rock. Target rock seems to be the goto shore dive place.

There is also beach access Spooner's Cove the Montana De Oro SP. Spooner's Cove has a about 100 yard channel facing NW ish so if the swell is lined up it can be really dangerous. Well for some one will little exp.

Availa Bach also has a oil pier that people will shore dive however from what I have been told vis is usually poor.

Most of the people I have talked to do boat dives. I know there is a six pack operator that docks in MB.

I would be interested in a trip in the next month or too.

link

Hi Lincoln.

Just to set the record straight, I wasn't corresponding with Lincoln on the dating web site.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...:D

Er...well...I don't think it was him...

Sorry D3, I thought you were the OP.

Anyway, other tid bit about target rock is it is right by the shipping lane and cost guard dock so a dive flag + buoy is a must. Ther is a public restroom + shower about 1/4 mi north east of the sight along the board walk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom