San Jose diving ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marcbeaudry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
i'll be working out of San Jose in mid July for about 6 weeks -
what are the local 'msut see' dive spots ? and best sources for dive buddies ?

any help at all would be greatly appreciated

thanks
marc

Monterey...

Pt. Lobos if you possibly can.

The breakwater, 'cause even though everyone dives there, it's a reliably good dive.

The metridiums, 'cause they're cool and you're parked there anyway (if your at the breakwater).

All points between.

There are boat dives available too and at least one local shop offers monthly guided dives.

#1 Pt. Lobos: get your reservations 3-5 weeks ahead if on a weekend. Can generally just show up on a weekday. Any dive there is good. Easiest entry and there is a fresh water hose to rinse gear.

#2 Breakwall/Coast Guard Jetty/San Carlos beach (all the same place): Lots of classes on the weekends, but still a good spot. Vis is variable but there is probably more life in the jetty rocks than anywhere else. Even on a poor vis day (<10') you can get very good close-up photos. Entry is almost as easy as Pt. Lobos and the swim is shorter and with less kelp.

#3 Metridium fields: Other side of the beach from Breakwall. Swim out a short distance but not quite left enough to pass the pump house. Drop down and swim 330 deg and intercept the large pipe. Follow the pipe to the end (be sure to look in it) and continue the same heading until you see the metridium fields. About 50-60' deep. There is another way to swim out (long swim) and drop right down on it.

Buddies: Ask here on ScubaBoard.

Salut Obelix:

Carmel Bay Beach Dives

1. Point Lobos
2. Monastery Beach

Monterey Bay Beach Dives

1. Coral Street
2. Metridium Fields <----same beach as the Breakwater (San Carlos Beach)
3. Breakwater <--this is where most of us got certified but it's full of live and is a really interesting/under rated dive.

If you go on a boat, you may hire a dive master. My dive buddy has been in Colorado/Florida for eons now. Booked a charter on the Silver Prince and had to hire a dive master as most, if not all, do not allow solo diving. Had a great time and it was very relaxing diving with someone who knew the dive spots, as I rarely dive from any of the boats. You should only dive at Monastery Beach or Coral Street in calm conditions, especially if you do not know how to manage surf entries/exits.

Bonne Journee,
Idefix

Thanks for the tips and information ! I was worried i'd started a thread no one would respond to !
I'll be in San jose as of July 20th - if anyone is interested in weekday dives, doesnt mind showing an out of towner' the local hot spots and needs a grateful buddy i'm ready to go !

best - Marc

I also strongly suggest calling one of the local shops and hiring a DM to give you a guided tour..They know the area and they are trained to assist you with any problems you may experiance ... They have worked hard to get certified to provide you this service and we all should encourage those visiting our area to use this service...The price you are charged is very low compared to the excellent tour you will receive while visiting our word class dive destination.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom